Prologue: The Saintess Candidates

They found her in the city of Pralli, in fine clothes dirtied at the edges by street filth. Her hair looked as molten gold, her eyes a green deeper than the forests, and her face as fair as any had seen. They decided she was a sign that their god had not abandoned them.

Once she had been brought to the church, she walked, entranced to the hall of statues, where they had set a test. They placed statues everywhere, in the hopes to determine if she was truly blessed by their god.

She found the true statue, and by some divine force she managed to pray for days longer than even the most steadfast of monks could. The church was so impressed by her devotion that she was declared as a saintess candidate.

The previous saintess had died the year before, and troubles had befallen the city, due to witches who struck the walls to drive away the people, and the church's steady expansion. But the girl's arrival lessened the attacks, and as she grew, the church was pleased to find her eagerness to hunt all the witches down.

She was named and declared to the world as Liora, meaning god's gift of light. She was celebrated, and praised often, as the saving light of the city. She grew only more graceful, perfect, and devoted each day, truly beloved in the city.

One day though, another girl arrived, with hair as black as soot, and eyes as grey as falcon feathers. She prayed long through the day, and was able to perform a small miracle. The church also accepted her as a saintess candidate, due to the fact Liora, despite being twelve, had not produced a miracle. The new girl was named Silvera, and lived in the church with Liora.

After Silvera arrived, miracles were spoiled among the city, Liora finally performing one herself. The church, in the end, could not decide between the two, and they still live as they age, and when Silvera turns nineteen, the saintess will be declared.

Due to Liora's commands, witch hunters have been dispatched from the city, and soon, a head witch hunter will be selected, as the previous one is getting old, and is expected, whether spoken or not, to perish.

But there is something the church, Silvera, the witch hunters, and all the people of the city do not know. That Liora, the witch-hating saintess candidate herself has something she can never, ever reveal, that she is a witch of Earth and Forest, abandoned by her kind, but adopted by the humans who nothing of her heritage, but still hated her sisters.

A perfect disguise, for such a dark creature.