⸻ TWENTY-ONE ⸻

Start from the beginning

It isn't like me to do this kind of thing, so I understand why Tammy worried about me.

It's tempting to disappear in the middle of the night like a thief, but it doesn't feel right. At this point, Lex deserves a standing ovation. He deserves to be praised and worshiped after his performance. So, I open a few drawers from the commode near the entrance to find a notepad and a ballpoint pen. I detach a sheet and lay it on the wooden surface. What should it say?

Thank you for the best night of my life.

As true as it might be, it's way too pathetic. Thank you, will have to suffice.

I leave the note on the dinner table, orienting it from where I think he'll come to find it. Then, after one last look toward the corridor that leads to his room, I vanish into the night.

It's early, but there's already some activity outside. I order an Uber since I can't be bothered with bus routes so early in the day. Four minutes until it gets here.

As I wait for it, the gravity of my actions slowly sinks in. Jesus fucking Christ. I'll have to share an office with the best lay of my life and pretend it never happened.

Somehow, it's even worse than everything I had to endure until now.

How could I be so stupid!? Why did I trust Kate with this? Even now, I know perfectly well that my lust-filled thoughts for Lex aren't gone. I'll still drool over him as soon as I see him at work in three hours.

Except that now, I won't have to wonder how it would be because I know exactly what sex with Alexander Coleman is. It's a cataclysmic experience I'll never forget. Once you try slex, you can never go back to sex.

I'm still wallowing in self-pity when the black sedan arrives, and after a quick confirmation, I slip inside the car.

On my way home, I read my missed notifications.

Tamtam—7:26 pm: Hi girl. I'm wondering if you know when you'll get home. I want to order some pizza.

Tamtam—8:43 pm: So, I ordered anyway. You'll reheat your slices if you want some.

Tamtam—9:34pm: Are you with Oliver?

Tamtam—9:57 pm: He just told me you weren't. Where are you?

Tamtam—10:48 pm: Answer me. Even if it's just a 'k.'

Tamtam—11:31 pm: Is everything okay?

Tamtam—0:14 am: I'm legit worried now. Call me whenever you can!

Shit. Shit, shit, shit... Tamika thinks I'm into Oli, which I kind of am, but now I spent the night with another man. With our boss.

Feeling like the worst friend in the history of mankind, I check Kate's messages.

Butthead—10:04 pm: Tamika texted me. She's worried about you. Where are you?

Butthead—10:32 pm: She told me you're not with Oliver. Are you with you-know-who?

Butthead—10:51 pm: Babe, if this is happening, I'm going to need ALL the details.

Butthead—11:48 pm: Still at it?

Butthead—00:33 am: Okay, it has to be some sexathon record by now...

Butthead—01:12 am: Omg, are you guys seriously still fucking, or did you pass out?

Butthead—01:15 am: I bet you passed out, you lightweight.