Chapter 10 (Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan)

It was almost a whole month later into the Sunshot campaign and things were progressing at a very slow rate. The allied sects against the Wen Sect were surely gaining an upper hand slowly but that didn’t mean that wars and battles were all unicorns and rainbows. Even with an immortal on their side they still lost people and loads of them were injured. It was a heinous nightmare for them.

Jiang Yanli didn’t even want to understand why Wen Ruohan wanted so much power in his hands. She probably would have understood if he did so by keeping in mind that it was beneficial for the Wen Sect as a whole. But even after his sons were killed in the hands of Chifeng-Jun and A-Cheng, Wen Zongzhu didn’t stop. Yanli didn’t take her family for the sake of it. She wouldn’t mind dying for them because they were her whole world. Hence, her heart twisted with unease when she got to know that Wen Ruohan wasn’t even cracking when the news of his sons’ death reached him.

Jiang Yanli was informed by Wei Qing that Wen Ruohan was nothing but heartless and power hungry. That he was so self absorbed, it wasn’t even funny. She had to laugh when the Wei-daifu added that Jin Guangshan was another breed of a self-absorbed bastard to clarify her point.

Yanli had been helping in management of the rations and also helped in the healing tents. Each day she would help deliver food to the cultivators of each sect. She specifically made sure to deliver her own soup to her A-Cheng and recently to the Yiling Laozu who insisted the she call him “A-Xian.” He was delighted when she first delivered him her soup, much against A-Cheng’s pouting. What was even more surprising was A-Xian was none other than her father’s best friends’ son. When her father had heard the news of Cangse Sanren and Wei Changze’s passing he spent a lot of time searching for A-Xian. However, his work beared no fruit as the child was nowhere to be found. Her mother had a cold and hot attitude towards the child but she was nonetheless sympathetic towards him. So, she didn’t stop her husband in searching for the child either.

Even A-Cheng quickly grew comfortable with A-Xian much to her delight though Lan-er Gongzi and her brother often glared at each other regarding that matter. She wanted to tell both the boys that they shouldn’t worry because both of their affections for A-Xian can’t be anymore different. However, she could only giggle behind her sleeves along with Zewu-Jun.

It was one such day with A-Cheng and A-Xian squabbling over soup and Lan-er Gongzi quietly discussing something with his brother and Meng-Gongzi when Jin Gongzi bursted into the tent striding towards her in what seemed like anger. Both A-Cheng and A-Xian stood in front of her in a flash.

“Jin-Gongzi what seems to be the matter?” Zewu-Jun joined in standing next to her.

“Jiang Yanli you should be ashamed of yourself!" Jin Gongzi stated in a tight voice.

“Excuse me?!” It must have been A-Cheng with A-Xian’s voice yelling something like “wtf?!!” . She wouldn’t know. She was too busy staring at the Jin heir’s face. Yes, she liked him. But she was slowly getting fed up with his attitude. He was too much of a proud peacock just like A-Cheng said!!!

“She took the credit for making the soup and lied that it was her when it was A-Min working her bones in the kitchen and delivering food to everyone, everday!!”

Eh? A-Min?!! Jiang Yanli was still staring at him and so were the other boys in the room. She even heard a sigh from the direction where Meng-Gongzi was standing.

“Jiang Yanli you must be ashamed to take credit when you know damn well that with your position you can easily suppress A-Min!! Didn’t your parents teach you-“

“JIN ZIXUAN!!”

Yah that was her finally snapping. This little pea brained nincompoop!! Enough is enough!!

Jin Zixuan looked stumped. So did the other boys. Well she didn’t care. She will speak her mind today. Nobody can stop her.

“You must be quite dumb to believe anybody who is willing to speak to you Jin Zixuan!!”

Somebody choked.

Jin Gongzi was still staring at her wide eyed and mouth agape. She pushed A-Xian and A-Cheng aside and walked slowly towards the Jin heir menacingly. If asked Jiang Cheng would say that she looked like their mother. Her eyes were glinting with anger and her lips drawn in a sneer.

“Did you think that you can throw your weight around and everybody will appreciate you when you don’t even know the basic informations about what is going on around you?!!”

Jin Zixuan gulped.

“Well for your information Jin Gongzi I have been managing and delivering rations and food. And I have been helping in the medical tents since the war started!! You can act righteous after you check your facts!!”

“B-But A-Min said-“

“That girl can come here and tell me if she wants credit. I can give it to her since you so graciously pointed out that I have enough status to do so!!”

“Jiang-Gunia-“ Jin Zixuan started, his hands trembling.

“Jin Gongzi listen to this well. I was also stuck in an involuntary engagement with you. But atleast I was trying to be amicable about it. I did not wish to burden you. However, it didn’t mean that I was over the moon to marry someone who wouldn’t even look at my face. I was also young when our mothers decided to engage us. You are not a victim Jin-Gongzi. Do not act like I trapped you in this.” She said with a tight voice.

“Please Jiang-Guniang listen to me.” Jin Zixuan tried to step forward but she stepped back avoiding his approach which made him freeze.

“If you have nothing better to do, Jin Gongzi, you may leave.” She said looking away. Her eyes had unshed tears and her palms were fisted on her side trembling.

“Jin-Gongzi it’s better to approach this cause when everybody is settled for a bit.” Meng Gongzi said in a polite tone that very clearly meant that the Jin heir will do better if he left. Faced with the glares coming from the other four Jin Zixuan could only leave with a confused mind and heavy heart.

Jiang Yanli stumbled back once Jin Zixuan exited the tent only to be held together by her brother.

“I…I just couldn’t stop myself from getting upset.” She mumbled out as she wiped her tears.

“No A-Jie you did amazing!!! It was time that brat knew what he was doing!!” A-Cheng said excitedly.

“Li-Jieeeeeee you are so amazinnnng!! My Jiejie is the best!!!” A-Xian voiced out as he swang her arm back and forth holding onto her sleeve.

“Jiang-Guniang did what was best”.

“Mn”

She could only laugh a bit when even Zewu-Jun and Lan-er Gongzi spoke in her favour.

She finally wiped her tears and smiled looking at the five young men.

“Would you all love to have some soup?” she asked to which she met with an enthusiastic “YES!”

She walked out of the tent in a hurry while feeling much better. However, she definitely missed the little kicked puppy in golden robes who was waiting for her but couldn’t afford catching upto her.

The little kicked puppy got a good tongue lashing from his mother later in the form of a letter. He was obviously sure about the culprit who took initiative to complain about it to his mother. Because right now he was glaring at her as she tried not to meet his eyes and acted as if she was tucking her perfume pouch in her belt securely while muttering about how it was useful because it was medicinal as well.
__________________________________________

A/N

Jiang Yanli is a bit OOC as she grew up differently than canon. She didn't fear speaking her mind when needed.

Jin Zixuan was a major jerk when he was younger.