Chapter 2 (Lan Zhan)

Lan Wangji was known for his excellent manners and righteousness throughout the cultivation world. However, there was probably one thing that he absolutely couldn’t follow up and that was the ugly politics that always existed among the sects. While he often accompanied his elder brother Lan Xichen and his uncle in these discussion conferences, he didn’t do it because he wanted to. He only did it because it was appropriate.
But in the present scenario, where Jin Zongzhu wouldn’t stop talking about his sect’s riches and how pretty the dancers in front of them were, he felt like dropping all the manners that were ingrained into him by his sect. He could only glare at the sect leader running his mouth off.
Everybody lost a lot to the hands of the Wen sect except the Jin sect. While he had no interest in knowing what trickery Jin Zongzhu might have played to avoid any damage, it still didn’t give him the right to be so flighty about others’ losses as well. He believed that they were all here as an alliance and should start to work like one. His Xiongzhang was out there somewhere, missing and maybe alone and he wanted Lan Xichen back. Xiongzhang was his only family who was related to his mother. He couldn’t afford to lose him too.
“I was made aware in the invitation that it was discussion conference for the Sunshot Campaign and how to proceed about it.” His uncle’s voice suddenly interrupted Jin-Zongzhu’s voice. His uncle would never interrupt someone as it was against the rule of the sect. But, Lan Wangji was petty enough and he spoke in support of his uncle . He could clearly see that Jin-Zongzhu was embarrassed and Nie-Zongzhu’s laugh didn’t help the situation at all. However, it finally did push the actual topic of the discussion conference forward.
Lan Wangji followed the sect leaders along with a few other disciples to the next room. The room had a huge table at its center and on top of it was some sort of map and documents piled neatly at the edge of the table. Once everybody gathered around the table the plans and strategies were finally put forward one by one as suggestions.
“Who is Xue Yang?!” Yao Zongzhu’s voice came.
“A demonic cultivator. There is a rumour going around that he is a disciple of the Yiling Laozu.”
“Yiling Laozu is a legend!!!! They are just baseless rumours!”
“Yes!!! These immortals are only far fetched rumours!”
“That doesn’t mean Xue Yang is a rumour. Our men saw him in Yiling two months ago.”
The last line caught everybody’s attention. Everybody looked towards the direction from where the voice came, only to find the young Jiang Zongzhu, Jiang Wanyin.
“And how are you so sure young man?” Jin-Zongzhu asked in a tone which showed that he clearly demeaned the young sect leader. That did not sit quite right with Lan Wangji. However, there wasn’t a lot of things which sat right when this particular sect leader was concerned. Everybody knew about his reputation in the cultivation world. Lan Wangji hence, tried to ignore those thoughts and focus on the words of Jiang Wanyin.
“Of course!! Yiling is close to Yunmeng and we often send our disciples there for night hunts. Two months ago our disciples saw him in Yiling and according to their reports he was dressed in a black and red set of robes and used a mask to cover the upper part of his face.”
“The description does match Xue Yang accurately. But Nie-Zongzhu are you sure Xue Yang is a safe choice to look for to fight against Wen Ruohan?” Several other people in the room nodded along with the question raised by Ouyang Zongzhu.
“Fire can only be fought with fire. And we only know one person who is a demonic cultivator and isn’t out there directly trying to kill everybody and that is Xue Yang.” Nie-Zongzhu said.
Lan Wangji felt that this idea suggested by Nie Zongzhu would change the cultivation world forever.

________________________________________

The war was looming over everybody’s head and it was almost a week ago when the sects decided to send a message to Xue Yang. Though it was quite informal to approach somebody for the first time with a Jin messenger butterfly, nobody exactly knew where Xue Yang lived as well. People could only assume that he lived among themselves as he popped up every now and then. Hence, for a whole week everybody could only cross their fingers and pray that their message found the concerned subject.
It was in the evening of the tenth day that their wait was answered. Lan Wangji was preparing for his nightly routine as it was almost time for bed. The gong would ring any minute and it would be time for him to retire to his bed. Just as he was about to undress himself down to his sleeping robes, somebody knocked on the doors of Jingshi. He frowned slightly before walking towards the door and opening it. To his surprise it was his uncle.
“Shufu?”
“Wangji we will have to travel to Qinghe at dawn. A message came back in response to ours and it was signed by the Yiling Laozu.”
For some reason Lan Wangji’s heart skipped a beat after listening to his uncle’s words.

________________________________________

Note:

Hi guys, thank you so much for the votes!! I hope that I can do my best in this fanfic as this is my first time trying to ever write something.

Again thank you everybody!!