prologue.

†††

MARCH 30TH, 1995DETROIT, MICHIGAN

MARCH 30TH, 1995
DETROIT, MICHIGAN

THE SOUNDS OF RONALD ISLEY & THE ISLEY BROTHERS FILLED GENESIS' ROOM as she laid on her bed, her back against the headboard.  Her "friend" Khadijah was laid in between her legs, the back of her head resting on Genesis' lower half of her torso.

Genesis' parents and Khadijah's father were out doing community service at the church. So Khadijah came over to spend time with the girl.

"I haven't been seeing you at church, G. Where you been?" Khadijah asked, making the other girl chuckle.

"Why you askin'? You been missin' me?" Genesis asked playfully, ranking her fingers through the girl's hair. Her country accent never seemed to fade away. You'd think it would've due to her being in Detroit for a hot minute. "My pops side of the family came up here from Houston. I had to see 'bout them.."

Khadijah smiles, listening to Genesis ramble about her family coming up here from down south to see about her. She found herself falling in love with the way Genesis spoke, how she had a drawl in her voice and the slow, relaxed tone she'd speak in.

"Then my brother's movin' back in with us in a few weeks.. so we won't be able to be alone anymore." Genesis adds with a fake tone of sadness before chuckling at herself. "Ain't that somethin', 'Dijah?"

"Hm. I'm sure Manny's gonna be able to mind his business.. He'll be too busy playing basketball with Elijah to focus on us anyway." Khadijah responds before chuckling herself. They both fell silent, letting Ronald Isley speak for them.

Genesis sighs before moving her hand down to Khadijah's face, caressing the girl's cheek. "When can we be together for real?.. I don't like having to hide my feelings for you." She mumbled.

Khadijah leans into Genesis' touch before sighing herself. "I don't know.. you know your parents don't play about that gay shit.." She starts to say before looking at her nails, admiring the white acrylic nails with the letter 'G' written on her ring finger.

Her father thought she was being fast at first, thinking Khadijah done got herself a little boyfriend. But she convinced him that the G stood for 'God' and no one else.

"My daddy's a bishop too, G.. I could get crucified if he found out I like girls." Khadijah adds, sitting up. She turns to face Genesis, who sits up as well. "We're already walking on thin ice, baby.."