Chapter 7: A Twist of Fate

Rain. It covered my windshield as I sat in my car front of my house. I don't know why I was hesitant to go in. I had been crushed. My attempt to prove my love to Bella ended in disaster. I was so empty. I felt like a major jerk for everything that happened. I didn't intend for this to end this way. I didn't intend for it to end at all. I was deep in my thoughts when I saw her. Leah in one of my hoodies and some leggings and she had duffle bag. She was walking really fast and was about to break out into a run. I knew she wouldn't phase; she's been afraid to since Paul attacked her.

I have to leave. I need to be gone before he gets back, she thought. I snickered because her actions were pretty comical, she never ceased to amaze me. I got out of the car and she heard the door close.

SHIT!

She stopped and seemed more than annoyed that her plan had failed. I took my time strolling to her at a human's pace. I knew it annoyed her when I did this. Leah was a woman that liked instant gratification. She huffed and put her hands on her hips and stepped closer to me.

"Go ahead and ask, I know you're going to," she ordered.

"Fine, where are you going Leah Clearwater?" She went to answer me in her mind. It was the easy way out and she knew I hated when she did that. "Talk to me." She huffed again.

"I'm leaving Edward. I've over stayed my welcome. Thank you though for being my friend and whatever." She went to start walking and I grabbed her arm gently.

"Why tonight?

You're getting married and don't you dare ask me to say that out loud, she thought. I chuckled and she narrowed her eyes at me. She looked down at her sneakers in the grass. I stepped even closer to her, the only noise to be heard was the crinkling of the leaves under my shoes and her heartbeat.

"What does my getting married have to do with your departure?"

"Shit you don't listen to anything do you?" She growled and then shoved me. I couldn't help but laugh at her. I wrapped my arms around her to stop her from trying to escape. Leah was a runner and I couldn't blame her for it. "I pretty much told you not to bring it up and here we are talking about it."

"Sometimes confronting your feelings is a good thing, even if you don't get the desired result," I advised and her eyes saddened. Again, I was baffled with all the time we'd spent together how did I miss this? Leah's feelings for me colored her eyes and was so evident.

"Yeah well, that's not happening. So was Bella happy when you popped the question?"

"Yes she was and we were wrapped up in moment that was pretty perfect. We kissed." As I tried to explain everything Leah struggled once again to get away from me.

"Look, as much as I want every mushy detail. I have a train to catch." She gave one good push and I allowed her to go free but continued to talk because I knew she could hear me.

"Like I was saying, we kissed. It was familiar but it was different ... cold. I know it's funny me saying that. As we kissed my mind began to wander to something strange. I thought of you and how at peace I felt. I felt possessed by you. I wondered what it would be like to kiss you ... to really belong to you Leah. I think I already do." She finally stopped walking and turned back to me. Even though she was so far away I saw the look on her face; shock, fear, and disbelief.

"What?" She whimpered.

"You heard me." I ran to her and this time she was much more content having my arms around her waist. "So back to my story, after our kiss ended we both knew we were over. We'd grown apart but we were so used to being together that we didn't realize it. You make me feel alive ... I've never felt so connected. I feel like I know you from another life."

"Edward, I feel ..." She started to speak but thought all of this was too good to be true. I rubbed my thumbs along her sides as she took stock of her thoughts. I wanted her to tell me what she felt and I didn't want to ask for it. I wanted her to feel comfortable enough with me and for her words to be effortless.

"I do think I owe you an apology though, I'm sorry for being an idiot. I should've realized what was happening with us sooner. If I had, then I wouldn't have hurt both you and Bella. Can you forgive me?" Leah nodded and I smiled a little. I hugged her and after a moment Leah's tense stature relaxed into me. I'm not sure how long we stayed that way but after a while I grabbed My Leah's hand and took her back home.