Chapter 62: The Perpetual VIP Pass

Start from the beginning

The tears I didn't realize I'd been holding back finally broke free. I sank down on a smooth rock at the water's edge, letting the tears flow unchecked. All the deep feelings I had buried long ago cascaded out along with the falls.

I let the tears flow, the waterfall rushing soothingly beside me. Time seemed to stop as I cried out all the conflicted feelings I'd stuffed down for years.

Gradually, my tears slowed, leaving me feeling oddly cleansed. The cold air WAS refreshing on my tear-stained cheeks. I took deep breaths, in tune with the churn of the falls. And thinking back on the awkward reunion lunch, I smiled faintly. Despite the emotional gut punches, it had been nice reminiscing with Adam one-on-one. A sweet, nostalgic glimpse at more tender times between us.

I checked the time on my phone—whoa, 4 p.m. already? Reluctantly, I left the sanctuary of the falls, the forces of the outside world already invading my blissful nature bubble.

The drive home was uneventful, but my mood remarkably lifted after the cathartic cry. I felt surprisingly okay about everything, Karen included.

What happened next was out of my control. I could only focus on me.

Dad's car was already in the driveway when I got home. He poked his head out from the kitchen as I came inside.

"Hey kiddo, there you are! Where were you all afternoon?"

"Oh, I'm just catching up with some other high school friends," I lied, already moving toward my room. Lying to Dad or Mom didn't sit right with me, never did, but confessing that I'd ventured off to Pine Crest State Park for a tearful meltdown over Adam's newfound special someone wasn't exactly on my to-do list. Nope, not today, not ever.

As soon as I was in my room, I collapsed backwards onto my bed, gazing up at the ceiling. With a sigh, I pulled out Adam's hair tie, dropping it next to me. My eyes drifted to the tree swaying outside my window, its branches beckoning me to climb up among them like old times.

Then a soft knock at my door pulled me from my reverie...

I rolled my eyes, assuming it was Belle back to torment me some more about saintly, perfect Karen.

"I'm sleeping!" I yelled loudly. "Go talk to your new BFF!"

The door creaked open slowly. I bolted upright as Adam hesitantly stepped inside. We stared at each other in surprise for a beat.

"Did you sneak past my dad?" I finally asked.

Adam grinned slightly. "I still have my VIP access pass."

An unwilling smile tugged at my mouth at the memory. But I quickly smoothed my expression, motioning for him to close the door.

He sat down tentatively at my cleared off desk as I stared at him. "Sooo, can we talk?" he asked softly.

I glanced away, hesitation and longing warring within me. With a small sigh, I met his gaze again, gesturing for him to begin. Wherever this conversation was headed, there is no going back now.

"Okay, first off, sorry for springing Karen on you like that," he started sincerely. "I honestly didn't think... well, clearly, that took you by surprise."

I let out a short, disbelieving laugh. "Um, understatement!" I shook my head, the words starting to spill out rapidly. "You've been with her for a YEAR?!"

Adam ran a hand through his hair with a heavy sigh. "I know, I'm sorry, I should've told you. I just didn't know how you'd react. We didn't exactly leave things on the best terms."

I opened my mouth to argue, but he held up a hand gently. "Please, just let me get this out."

I pressed my lips together as he continued. "That night, I was a mess. Begging you not to go to New York, but I didn't know I was asking you to choose me over your dream opportunity. Still, it was selfish and unfair."

His voice dropped. "And...I honestly thought I'd never see or hear from you again after how terribly we ended things. I didn't think you'd want me popping up a later going, 'Oh hey Wendy, I met this great girl traveling...' After what went down that night."

My righteous anger wavered as I saw real pain in his eyes. I spoke up hesitantly. "I didn't go to New York because of Mr. Scott, I swear. It was always about the internship for me. He was just...he was trying to get over a bad breakup too. He gave up a lot for a girl."

I took a shaky breath then continued, "He moved to London not long after he and his best friend started the theater company, The Urban Playhouse. And, you know what? We did hang out in New York. I mean, he was my only connection in that big city. But before long, I figured out we were just better off as friends. Sure, he still checks in sometimes, but that's about it."

hoping he'd say something, but he stayed silent, so I went on, "I'm sorry I didn't explain it all sooner. I wanted to, though. But when I came back, you were already gone..." I trailed off with a sad shrug.

Where would we be now if pride and hurt hadn't kept us silent all this time? The thought made my heart unexpectedly ache.

Adam stood abruptly from the desk chair, watching me closely. "I'm really sorry, Wendy," he said finally, so quietly. "For all of it."

"Me too," I whispered back. "Sorry for leaving the way I did. For never explaining myself or calling you in New York."

"You didn't need to explain anything back then, and you don't need to explain anything now." He took a small step toward me, then stopped short, struggling with some internal debate as he continued to gaze down at me.

I wanted to tell him that perhaps if I'd explained everything earlier, we wouldn't be in this situation right now. Yet, instead of letting the words fly, I locked them up tight in the vault of my mind.

"You're wearing it," he said, smiling at the necklace around my neck. "And that too," he said, pointing at the blue scrunchie on the bed.

"Of course."

Then a cheerful buzz split the moment. He fished his phone out, tension draining from his face as he looked at the screen. "It's Karen," he said simply. "I've to go."

Disappointment flooded me unbidden. I kept my eyes averted, afraid of what he might read in them. Then soon I heard the door click softly. And I let out a breath.

Even after hashing out so much, the gulf still felt wide between us. I tried to ignore the niggling voice in my head, wondering if a second chance had been hovering within reach, only to flutter away with Karen's call.

I flopped backwards with a sigh, wistfully eyeing the tree outside my window and wondering what now?