Chapter 28: Second Act and Getting Sidetracked

"Damn second act," I murmured, my heart racing as I approached the library entrance. Partly due to the two flights of stairs I'd just climbed, but mostly because of Mr. Scott.

I paused for a moment, taking a deep breath, before pressing my sweaty hand on the glass doors.

"Alright, Wendy, keep it together," I silently coached myself. "Don't embarrass yourself. Just play it cool."

With cautious steps, I entered the library.

Inside felt cramped with its shelves and walls of books and desks, and it was eerily quiet. Glancing around, I noticed the absence of Mr. Scott, or anyone else for that matter, save for Mr. Shaw stationed at the front desk.

Taking another breath, I approached the oldest faculty member at Pinecrest High. "Um, excuse me, Mr. Shaw?" I asked softly.

Nothing. Not even a grunt. He was so engrossed in "Legends and Crooks," an novel by C.R. Christopher–evidently a riveting read, as I had to feign a cough to capture his attention.

"Mr. Shaw?" I tried again, prompting him to finally acknowledge my presence, staring at me as if I'd just interrupted a prayer.

"Is Mr. Scott here?" I asked.

Mr. Shaw slammed the book shut and put it face down out of my sight. "You come here to find and read books, not to track down people," he stated firmly.

"I just thought you might have seen or noticed him come in and—"

"What is your business with the young teacher, student?" he asked, scanning me up and down like he sensed some impending scandal.

Attempting to remain composed, I explained, "My name is Wendy, and Mr. Scott and I are supposed to meet here to work on this year's annual play, which I happen to have written." My prideful smile faltered as Mr. Shaw failed to reciprocate the sentiment.

"I haven't seen him come in yet, student," Mr. Shaw replied curtly, referring to me as 'student' in a manner that struck me as peculiar.

Alright. He's weird.

"Oh, okay, Mr. Shaw. I'm just going to go ahead and wait for him then."

"You can wait for him over there." He pointed a finger to one of the desks near a cluster of shelves.

Children's section. Ages 10 to 14, I mentally read.

I smiled and gave him a nod. As his eyes glued back to "Legends and Crooks," I navigated my way through the maze of books, all the while internally lamenting the perspiration that had begun to coat my skin despite the library's pleasant temperature.

The school's budget issues didn't impact the library's air conditioning, but my body didn't seem to care. I sweat because I was nervous about working on my play with my H&M catalog cut-out teacher.

May the force be with me!

When I rounded the corner, I spotted a nice desk in a quiet corner. I couldn't care less about what Mr. Shaw might think, so I decided to sit there. Without wasting any more time, I pulled out my notes, a copy of "All's Fair In Love," a couple of pens, and markers, ready to get a head start.

But first things first ― Browns!

I quickly dialed the familiar landline number of the store. After a few rings, someone finally answered.

"Brown's." I immediately recognized Audrey's tired voice.

"Audrey, something came up. I'm still at the library..."