Chapter 53: The Longest 10 Minutes

So Adam left...

And now, an uncomfortable silence hung over the table. But our families ultimately brushed it off and resumed conversing lightly, letting the tension dissipate.

"More wine, anyone?" Dad offered, trying to keep things positive. Mrs. Brown and my mom happily accepted refills as they moved on to reminiscing about Adam and me as giggling grade-schoolers. I began again to push food around my plate quietly.

When they'd finally finished their food, mom and Mrs. Brown congratulated each other heartily on successfully getting their kids through high school.

"I'm so very proud of Adam and Wendy," Mrs. Brown said, giving me a quick hug. "I'm sorry for Adam running off like that. He's been rather distant lately, but I'm sure it's just senior year stress."

I nodded politely as her eyes filled with concern. "Come to think of it, I haven't seen you around the shop much anymore either. Is everything alright between you two?"

I hesitated, totally unsure how to respond. "Oh yeah, we've just had different extracurriculars and friend groups this year, I guess," I fumbled. "Busy time of life, you know?"

Mrs. Brown studied me closely for a second as I avoided her gaze. Luckily, my mom swooped in.

"Teenagers and their moods—what can you do?" she laughed lightly, patting Mrs. Brown's shoulder.

"Well, Adam seems to be spending all his time with that Jay boy lately," Mrs. Brown added, shaking her head. "They've become quite attached at the hip!"

"Yeah, Jay is even going on Adam's big trip to Nepal," Audrey added.

"Oh! He is? I suppose that's why they've gotten so close," I offered politely.

Mrs. Brown leaned in with a whisper. "To be frank, I've heard rather unseemly stories about that kid getting mixed up in street fights and such. I worry he's a bad influence on Adam with their constant gallivanting."

"Gallivanting? Hmmm... I don't think Adam gallivants." I shifted uncomfortably, thinking back to that night Adam had brought Jay, face bloodied, to my house, knowing my parents would disapprove if they found out.

"I know Jay seems kind of rough around the edges," I said carefully. "But he's actually a good guy deep down. He just comes from a part of town where it's hard to avoid trouble if you aren't careful."

Mrs. Brown looked thoughtful as I continued gently, "Family stuff makes it tough too. I don't think he has much guidance at home. But he's always been nice..." I trailed off, not wanting to reveal too much from that night.

"Hmm, well, when you put it that way, I suppose I shouldn't judge the boy too quickly," Mrs. Brown admitted. An awkward beat passed before my mom swooped in to change topics.

I exhaled silently with relief.

After dinner, I gazed silently out the car window on the ride home, emotions swirling. My thoughts bounced from Adam's pained expression at the mention of my New York plans to the unresolved tension still hanging between us. Then my mind turned to Mr. Scott; I still hadn't confirmed whether or not I was accepting his internship offer and plane ticket.

And we were supposed to leave in just a few days!

As streetlights flickered by in the dark, I felt a strong urge to talk to Adam before I left, even if he wanted to avoid hashing things out. The idea of traveling to New York with this rift still wedged silently between us suddenly didn't sit right with me at all.

I hemmed and hawed, arguing with myself internally. It was late; he clearly didn't want to discuss topics he preferred burying. Showing up unannounced would be awkward as hell. But leaving town, not knowing where we stood? That seemed much worse.