(TWIST) CHAPTER FOUR

Start from the beginning

Ava, witnessing this exchange, felt a brief sting of irritation. It wasn't Janet's boldness that bothered her as much as Fred's readiness to engage. Yet, she held back from commenting, her expression flickering briefly before she regained her composure.

"Keep me in the loop, handsome," Janet called after him, her voice a sultry melody that lingered.

Finding their friends, Ava slipped into the easygoing vibe of their group without missing a beat. "Hey, you guys been here long?" she asked, sliding into the mix as Candace and Vickie greeted her with nods and wide smiles.

"Got something to kick off the night?" Candace offered, extending a red plastic cup filled to the brim with beer, her gesture an invitation to dive into the night's revelry.

Just as Ava's hand grazed the cup, Fred intercepted it with a swift move, downing the contents in one fluid motion. "Ah, not today, young lady. Remember what your folks said about alcohol," he teased, a playful twinkle in his eye.

Ava's mock glare was all in good fun. "Frederick! That was meant for me," she protested, her complaint tinged with laughter rather than real annoyance.

The group erupted into a mix of chuckles and playful banter, the easy dynamics of their friendship unfolding against the backdrop of the party. "Come on, Avaline, you know the rules. Plus, I've got you covered with something a bit more parent-approved," Fred quipped, winking as he handed her a soda, ensuring the night remained within the boundaries of fun without crossing any lines.

As the evening unfolded into night, the energy within Kennedy's house seemed only to amplify. The soundtrack of the party, a mix of the latest hits and timeless tracks, kept the atmosphere vibrant and alive. Fred, navigating the room with an easy confidence, made rounds among his friends, always mindful to remain within Ava's line of sight. It was a silent reassurance, a promise of togetherness amidst the sea of partygoers.

Despite the ubiquitous presence of red cups and the distinct aroma of beer that seemed to perfume the air, Fred and Ava remained a sober duo. Fred had taken on the role of designated driver with a sense of responsibility that didn't waver, even as the night grew wild around them. Ava, respecting her parents' wishes, found herself sipping on soda, her senses fully immersed in the cacophony of sounds and the kaleidoscope of lights.

The beer pong table became a center of gravity for a while, drawing spectators and players alike into its orbit. Ava watched, amused, as her friends took turns trying to land the ping pong ball in the array of cups on the opposite side. Cheers erupted with each successful shot, the game a lively spectacle that Ava enjoyed from the sidelines. Even without partaking in the drinking, she found herself caught up in the excitement, cheering on her friends and sharing laughs that echoed through the room.

Ava, surrounded by the buzz of the party, found herself chatting with a group of classmates gathered around the makeshift snack table. The conversation veered into memories of the past school year.

"So, remember when Mr. Henderson tried to do that experiment in Chem class, and it just... fizzled out?" Ava laughed, popping a chip into her mouth.

"Oh, my God, yes!" exclaimed Pete, leaning in closer. "I thought we were about to see a real-life explosion. Poor guy looked so defeated."

The group erupted into laughter, the shared memory a testament to their collective journey through the school year.

Michael, sipping from his cup, chimed in, "It's wild to think we're almost done. Like, no more Mr. Henderson's experiments gone wrong, no more finals..."