(22)

-

-

"I won't leave him"

-

"All S.H.I.E.L.D pilots, scramble. We're the only air support Captain Rogers has got," the lead pilot says into his radio. As Jaime and the Winter Soldier arrived, they began launching bombs at the remaining aircraft on the ground, ruthlessly eliminating anyone who stood in their path.

A S.H.I.E.L.D agent raised a grenade to throw at them, but Jaime was quicker. She shot him in the throat, and the man crumpled to the ground, choking on his own blood. Without hesitation, Jaime picked up the grenade and hurled it into an aircraft, triggering a massive explosion.

After decimating nearly every plane, the Winter Soldier swiftly shot the pilot of the last remaining aircraft in the head and tossed his lifeless body aside.

"Get in." he ordered Jaime, who nodded in acknowledgment before complying.

The two waited as Steve and Sam landed on the last helicarrier. As soon as they did, Bucky delivered a kick that sent Steve tumbling off.

"Steve!" Sam yelled, preparing to fly after him. But Jaime swiftly grabbed the wing of his suit, yanking him back.

"Jaime?" Sam exclaimed, clearly taken aback, as he opened fire on her.

Jaime quickly ducked and sought cover, while the Winter Soldier aimed and fired a metal cable at the wing of Sam's suit. The cable severed the wing, causing it to break off before Bucky delivered another powerful kick, sending Sam plummeting from the sky.

"Cap! Cap, come in. Are you okay?" Sam's voice, filled with concern, came through Steve's earpiece.

"Yeah, I'm here." Steve replied, grunting with effort as he pulled himself back onto the helicarrier. "I'm still on the helicarrier."

"Where are you?" The blonde asked, his voice strained.

"I'm grounded." Sam responded with regret. "The suit's down. Sorry, Cap." he apologized.

"Don't worry, I got it." Steve reassured him. He quickly sprinted off, leaving Bucky and Jaime watching him from a deck above

As Steve entered the control room of the helicarrier, preparing to replace the chips, Bucky and Jaime closed in on him. Bucky took the lead, with Jaime positioned behind Steve.

"People are gonna die, Buck." Steve said earnestly.

"I can't let that happen." he added, determination lining his voice.

Bucky stared at him with emotionless eyes, unmoving.

"Please don't make me do this." Steve pleaded, casting a quick glance at Jaime before locking eyes with Bucky

Bucky lowered his head, stealing a glance at Jaime beside Steve, who nodded subtly in return. Seizing the moment, Steve noticed the exchange and hurled his shield at Bucky. Bucky deflected it with his metal arm, causing it to ricochet back towards Steve. At the same time, Jaime swiftly kicked the back of Steve's knees, forcing him to kneel on the ground.