The Heierchy of Status

The landlord

In a home where stomachs were always fed and plates were always full, lived the Augustin's landlord. His name was Sir Abelard Pankraz. Augustin's home wasn't the only farm he owned, for he owned almost every farm in the neighborhood. Abelard had no farm of his own tending. Though he had a two story white mansion with many servants. He had one son whom had moved out many years ago. And so Abelard lived a luxurious life with his beautiful wife. Abelard went to all the farms personally to receive all his different payments from meats, vegetables, milks to boar skin, perfumes, oils and even money. Perhaps he didn't send one of his servants to receive the goods so he could hide his true personality and the pleasure he got from tormenting those bellow him in status. The people he referred to as "peasants" were too afraid of what might become of their home and lives if they said even a word to anyone, including The Knights of Favonius. Abelard, along with many wealthy people in Mondstat, had close ties with a certain group of people. The Fatui. A delegation of greedy diplomats and war criminals. Hungry for evil deeds, their leaders hailing from all across Teyvat, serving their Queen the Tsaritsa. Widely feared and despised by all nations. Anyone hoping for the deepest and darkest parts of the markets can look to a Fatuus.

And here was Abelard meeting with a member of the Fatui, in an old abandoned building. "What brings you here today, Abelard?" A low and eerie voice spoke from behind a desk hiding in the dark shadows. "Do you have the drugs you promised? I came all this way and I don't have much time on my hands." Spoke Abelard. A tense pause of silence before the Fatuus spoke again. "You dare order a member of the Fatuus to do your bidding?" His voice was more intense as was the atmosphere in the room. "You best watch your tone, lowly Mondstater. Remember who it is you're speaking to! Your status means nothing in my presence. Or shall I teach you a lesson..?"
"M-my sincerest apologies, sir Barnabas. I don't know what came over me." Sweat began to drip from Abelard's forehead. The Fatuus, Barnabas, let out a short sigh. "Very well, don't let it happen again. Now where were we? What is it that you want?"
"Ah, yes. I was hoping to acquire some of your latest serums. The one that can cure me of my old age.." Abelard said frantically. "Yes, I do have those on me. But they do not come cheap." Barnabas said while tapping his finger on his crossed arms. "Please, name your price, sir."
"I'm afraid they do not simply come for a price. I was hoping for something a little more."
"Yes?.." Abelard said nervously. "My allegiance group are out scouting as we speak. But I've received word they're a little low on supplies for their journey. Seeming as I am too busy to assist them myself, perhaps you have something you can offer them on my behalf? I know you own many peasant farms in the area."
"Y-yes, that is correct. They have much to offer, many supplies, that is. You can do whatever you want with them, just please I'm begging you I'm growing old and frail, I-"
"Then it is settled, I'll give you a stock of the aging serum in exchange for one of your farms." Barnabas set a tray of bottles on the desk in front of him, filled with a glowing purple liquid that illuminated the desk. "We have a deal!" Abelard said as he reached for the bottles. "..And.." Barnabas began sliding the tray back. "700,00 mora." "But, you said-" "I thought we had a deal, Mr. Abelard. Or..Is there a problem?"
"No, no, no problem at all!" Abelard chuckled nervously. "Here's your money." He then set a bag of Mora on the table. "Pleasure doing business with you." Barnabas said with an evil grin and Abelard quickly retreated with his tray of glowing serum.

That night, a quiet and peaceful night, an unlucky family's entire farm was raided. Screams and pleads filled the once quiet farm as the family was dragged out of their home. The mysterious group of people took everything they had, their crops, their clothes, what little money they had. The group slaughtered all the animals and took their corpses. Not even a crumb was left when they had finished, and as if things couldn't get any worse for the poor family, the men set fire to their home just for pleasures sake. The men left just as quickly as they had came, leaving the family to weep in each others arms. Word would quickly spread among the farmers of what horrible fate the family was left with. And fear spread about these mysterious evil people and who they could be.