The Burden of Innocence

Rosalinde's parents hid their true struggles from their children, their reason being that they couldn't raise a happy family otherwise. The truth behind the reality of lower class was dark and treacherous, so they sheltered their children from it. In Rosalinde and her brother's eyes, the owner of the farm was reasonable with the divided earnings, their parents weren't on the verge of losing their home, and they weren't running out of resources to take care of the animals. But their parents knew the truth all too well, and the pressure of it was beginning to be far too heavy of a burden to carry.

Even though the aristocrat society was demolished decades ago, the hierarchy gap between the rich and the poor was still enormous. Only wealthy people were able to live in the city, and all marketing took place inside those walls as well. The grand master of Mondstat city, all powerful and strong, knows at all times what comes in and out of the city. All new visitors are documented and are only let in with permission, while every resident knew one another. The knights guard the walls like hawks from outsiders while wearing their armor with pride.

The owner of the Augustin's farm was a difficult man. Like many wealthy land owners, he was blinded by his greed. Money flowed to them without hardly having to lift one of their own fingers. Bargaining with him was an all out war for Rosalinde's parents, and it also seemed to be an unending one. Every Monday the land owner comes to collect that weeks worth of eggs and milk. Then on the 3rd of November, after harvest season is over, he will receive 65% of that years harvest. To the land owner, it's more than fair in exchange for the farm, since the family pays rent by what the farm provides. But it left the family with very little left over, and the more the children grew, the more they ate.

Even though their unborn child would be yet another mouth to feed, it didn't worry Rosalinde's parents in the slightest. In fact, it's new life brought light into their lives. Like rays of sunshine peeking out from the cracks of a dark storm cloud. They thanked the anemo archon of the heavens to have been so blessed by yet another member to add to their happy family. Mrs. Augustin was now 9 months along her pregnancy and the family were waiting eagerly for the baby. Today, Rosalinde and her brother were helping prepare the last things needed for the baby's nursery.

"Right there is fine." Mrs. Rosalinde said as they placed a brand new wooden cradle next to their bed. "I know it's not much," Mr. Augustin began, "but it will be easier to take care of him in the night if we have the cradle next to us." Rosalinde observed with curiosity. This was the first time she was experiencing the birth of a new sibling. "Hun, you don't know if "he" is a boy or girl yet! Quit being so fixated on a boy, you never know what they might turn out to be." Mrs. Augustin scolded in that kind yet assertive tone of hers. "Hah, your mother's right. When Jonas was born I was certain he was going to be a girl." Mr. Augustin teased as he placed his hand atop his son's dusky hair. "Hey!" Jonas retorted. As Rosalinde always did, she observed before finding the right moment to say anything. It was not that she was shy or reserved, but that her mind was always racing with thoughts and feelings. "You can't tell if they are a boy or girl until they are born, right Ma?" Rosalinde said as she perked up. "Yes, that's correct, darling." Mrs. Augustin's rose petal lips curved into a warm smile.

Later that night, the four of them curled up by the cozy fireplace as they always did before bed. Mrs. Augustin wrapped her arm around Jonas as he sank into his Ma, and Rosalinde snuggled up on her lap like a cat. Their father groaned lazily as he plopped down behind the three, and relaxed his tired bones. On nights like these, when the family had time to settle down at the fireplace, it wouldn't be the same without their usual story telling of Barbatos, the anemo archon. The atmosphere was peaceful and quiet, nothing but the sound of the fireplace crackling, and Mrs. Augustin's soft comforting voice could be heard.

"As the little boy crouched on the ground, while wrapping his arms around his legs, he cried. He wished he had never followed that boar far into the forest. He wished he could be back home with his parents and his dog. He wished he could fill his grumbling tummy again like he used to. The moon was high in the sky and the scary midnight sounds echoed through the woods." Rosalinde leaned further into her mother's lap, imagining those same sounds coming from outside their home. "But then he remembered what the priest had said, that Barbatos listened to all prayers and fulfilled everyone's wishes. So the boy shut his eyes tight and clasped his hands together. 'Barbatos, if you're listening, please help me find my way home. I want to see my family again.' Then suddenly he felt a light breeze and heard the leaves on the trees rustle in the wind. The wind got stronger and stronger then suddenly, he was lifted up onto his feet." Rosalinde and Jonas listened intently as if the story was coming to life right in front of their eyes. "The leaves in the trees were now swaying violently in the wind, and some were pulled off and rushed into the wind's current. The boy felt his back being pushed as he was guided through the forest. His legs struggled to keep up, he was practically running. But he felt a sense of relief and he knew everything was going to be alright. The wind blew him all the way back home, and vanished just like that. The boy stood dumbfounded as the front door to his home opened and out came his parents. They embraced him, for they had been waiting nervously all night. His dog came running out the door as well and greeted him with kisses." Mrs. Augustin playfully tickled Rosalinde and she let out a bundle of giggles. "The mother then said, 'Oh thank the anemo archon!' As she cried into her son's shoulder. The boy suddenly felt a dandelion in his hand, as if the anemo archon wished him farewell. The end." Jonas was now asleep in his mothers arm, but Rosalinde was still awake, having listened to the full story with wonder.