Wind Snatching The Thread of Life

It was late in the gloomy night as rain hissed on the roof of the Augustin's home. The windows were lit and the family was awake, tension filling the air. Mrs. Augustin was going into labor, and it was the most difficult she had ever faced before. Lying on the bed with her back against the frame, her face was pale and soaked in sweat. Her chest rose steadily up and down as her husband clutched her hand in his own. "You can do this hun, just breathe." He said calmly yet hurriedly to his wife. Jonas was in charge of changing out a bowl of water that he used to dampen a cloth and place it on her forehead. Mr. Augustin held his wife's squeezing hand.

Rosalinde felt helpless as she stood there watching her father and brother work anxiously. They were too occupied to notice her trembling. The home was still filled with Mrs. Augustin's wailing and screaming. Rosalinde didn't understand what was happening and perhaps she shouldn't have been there to witness it. Suddenly Mrs. Augustin's stiff head turned slowly towards Rosalinde. Despite the pain in her face she still lifted her free hand out to her daughter. Rosalinde rushed over to her mother with teary eyes and grabbed her shaking hand. "It's going to be okay, Rosa sweetheart." Mrs. Augustin said with a smile through gritted teeth. "Barbatos is watching over us, he will help us through this." Although Rosalinde felt somewhat relieved, it was not the reassurance she had hoped for. Why must her mother always count on Barbatos for everything? She wanted to be the one to help her mother, not Barbatos. She wanted to be the one to save her mother from this pain. Rosalinde couldn't believe what she was thinking and pushed those thoughts into the back of her mind and once again, put her faith in Barbatos. Mrs. Augustin saw that there was still worry in Rosalinde's watery eyes and so she assured her, "this will all be over soon, okay?"

Yet three long hours passed...then five...then six. Rosalinde's young mind didn't understand much of what was going on and she didn't understand that something was wrong. Her father too looked exhausted and confused. Even though he had helped his wife deliver two of their children without any problems, nothing could have prepared him for this. With no other options, Mr. Augustin turned his head towards his son: "Go fetch the doctor, Jonas. Quickly!"

"But how are we going to afford a doctor? The only one in town is Dr. Heinrich." Jonas questioned in the same worried tone. "We have waited this long, we have no other choice. Go, now!" Without another word, Jonas burst through the front door and ran into the stormy night. Without a lamp or even his shoes, he ran as fast as he could. His feet splashed rapidly in the large puddles of muddy water. Dr. Heinrich would be asleep at this time of night, but he was aware that the Augustin family were expecting a baby.

Rosalinde was now left alone with her parents, arms held closely to her chest. A heavy amount of dread loomed over her small figure. Mr. Augustin finally brought his attention to Rosalinde who had not been important until now. Getting up from his stool, he kneeled down in front of her. He too was drenched in sweat and his hair stuck to his forehead. He instructed Rosalinde to go off to bed while he took care of Mrs. Augustin. In a flash she fled from the frightening scene and shut the door tight behind her. Her mind struggled to keep up with the countless thoughts that swirled violently in her head. What would happen to her mother? Would the doctor be able to help? Is the baby going to be okay? There was only one thing that she did know and what she knew was to pray. Kneeling at her bed side, she clasped her hands together and shut her eyes tight. "Barbatos, please help my mama. Please protect my new sibling," pausing for a moment, she took a shuddering breath, "...I'm scared, Barbatos, please guide me." Rosalinde ended with a quivering voice. She used the last of her strength to pull herself into bed and immediately closed her eyes from exhaustion. She could hear voices coming from the other room before she fell asleep. A new voice, one she didn't recognize. Her fathers and brothers voice talking frantically. Her mother still moaning and groaning in pain. But slowly they faded away and it was nothing but silence and darkness. Rosalinde was now fast asleep in her bed.

That night Rosalinde dreamt of what her new sibling might look like. The dream was light and warm. In her dream the baby was a girl, the little sister she had always hoped for. She dreamt of playing with her new sibling, her mother smiling as she watched the two closely. The family going on a picnic again, laughing and playing in the refreshing breeze from Barbatos. She saw her mother cradling her sister close to her chest and smiling down at her. The dream ended with that image fading into a bright white light.