All That is Left

It was morning before she knew it. Rosalinde awoke with her eyes dry from the long night and her body was still as stiff as a log. She shared a room with Jonas but Jonas was nowhere to be found. She took a moment to gather her thoughts and suddenly she remembered all that had taken place last night. Her mother going into labor, the many hours that passed, the doctor being called. The doctor must have helped deliver the baby, which meant the baby was here! Rosalinde excitedly jumped from her bed and rushed for the door.

When she opened the wooden door she expected to see her mother sitting up in her bed while holding the baby and her family huddled closely around the bedside. But that image in her head soon faded as she was met with the reality in front of her. The room was dimly lit and she did not see her mother at the bed, instead a strange lump covered in a blanket. The atmosphere was so heavy that she felt as if she could hardly breathe. As she scoured the room with her eyes she found Jonas sitting in a chair against the wall. She couldn't tell if he was awake or asleep with his head held so low. She then saw her father in a chair near the bed, leaned over and staring at the ground. Confusingly, Rosalinde walked up to her father.

"Papa?" Rosalinde forced a whisper for she felt as if she couldn't speak. He turned to face her, his eyes dark with exhaustion. "I'm sorry..." Rosalinde looked at him confusedly. "She didn't make it. They couldn't help her." He embraced her, but Rosalinde's arms remained by her side. She still didn't understand, but she knew deep down her mother was gone. As her father embraced her, holding her tightly, she saw the figure on the bed covered completely under the sheets. Rosalinde felt sick. She knew that the lifeless, motionless figure was once her mother and her sibling. She shut her eyes. She couldn't look. And soon the tears started to flow as she hugged her father back. "Why is this happening?" Rosalinde thought to herself. "Barbatos was supposed to help her. Ma said everything was going to be alright because he was watching over us.."

The next day a funeral was held in the backyard, under a weeping willow tree. It was like a blur for everyone, their minds fogged from the shock. Rosalinde remembered the landlord stopping by. He looked normal compared to Rosalinde, her brother and her father. She remembered her father exchanging a few words with him then he left. Some neighbors stopped by, resting a hand on Mr. Augustin's shoulder. The next few days were the hardest. Mr. Augustin was taking a break from the farm, so Rosalinde and her brother had to work on their own despite their grief.
The sudden change in Rosalinde's life knocked her into a spiraling state of confusion. What was she to do without her mother? Will her father ever overcome his grief? Why is Barbatos letting this just happen? Questions that would never receive an answer went in and out of her mind all day long as she worked. But the work became harder and harder by the day, for how could two kids run a farm on their own?

Rosalinde's mind and body were exhausted as she went inside the house for a break. Her father was in the same place he had been in for days. He was lying in his bed with his back turned to the room, a dark shadow casting over him. She needed his help. She needed his comfort. She needed something or she felt she would collapse. He wouldn't speak to anyone not even his own children. It's as if he was lifeless, overcome by his own grief. Rosalinde dragged her feet over to the bed, her boots covered in thick dirt and holes. "Father..papa?" She grabbed his shirt and gently shook him. But no response. "Father please." Her voice began to crack as she shook him harder. "Please stop. Please stop doing this, talk to me!" Tears began to stream down her sweaty face. But there was still no answer. Rosalinde felt all her emotions she had been holding in the past few days start to crumble and fall apart. All she could do was fall to her knees and cry. Jonas had heard the noise from outside and came to her side. He knelt down and held her in his arms silently. Jonas felt all these emotions too, but he knew he had to take his father's place for the sake of the farm. "It's going to be okay, Rosa." He said quietly with pain hiding in his voice. Rosalinde wailed into her brothers arms, "I don't know what to do Jonas, I'm scared!" Jonas squeezed her tighter. "I know..I'm scared too."

____________________________

Authors note:

Hello! I am back with an amazing and happy chapter:D I didn't want to give up on this story I have so many plans. So I'm back to writing this story. Thank you for taking your time to read these:)