Chapter 2: Arriving Late

I knew I was late. But all I could think about was her. Morganna. I entered my work with her still on my mind. "Gwen, you're late!" Kay yelled. "If you weren't my brother's girlfriend, I'd have your hide!"

I rolled my eyes. Ever since I started dating Arthur, Kay had been using every excuse to bring it up.

"Chill out," I said. "Stop acting like you have anything over me."

Kay wasn't my boss or anything. He was just a guy who thought it was his business to police everything I did. Before Kay could respond, I felt arms wrap around me. "Kay, I talked to you about this," Arthur said as he kissed my cheek. "My name has no business in your mouth when you're beefing with Gwen."

Kay rolled his eyes. "Yeah, well... maybe she should show up on time," he said.

I gave him a sheepish look. "Hey, I'm on time most days," I said. "Today was just a hiccup."

"Uh huh," Kay said. "Whatever. But next time won't be so easy."

I rolled my eyes. I turned to Arthur as he let go of me. "Why were you late?" He asked. "It's not like you to be late."

"I'm sorry," I said. "I just... met someone."

"Oh, what's his name?" Arthur teased.

"Oh shut up, it's not like that," I said. "My eyes are only on you."

Arthur nodded. "And if that changes, I want you to tell me," he said. "I'll be okay."

I nodded. "She was... a brief interaction," I said. "I doubt I'll see her again."

"Or... maybe you will," Arthur said. "What was her name?"

"Morganna," I said.

Arthur paused. "You look lost," he said as he met my eyes. "Are you sure nothing happened?"

I felt myself pause. Did something happen? That was ridiculous. Then again, I had always been questioning. But since I was dating Arthur, I never took it seriously. "Nothing happened," I said. "We just met. That's all."

Arthur nodded. He kissed me again. "I believe you," he said.

Arthur was truly the best thing that had ever happened to me. I just didn't know exactly why until much later.