Chapter 1: Meeting Her

When I walked into my local coffee shop looking for a quick bite to eat before work, I didn't expect to discover my life's purpose and meaning. It's not something that one ever expects.

I sat down after ordering my usual bacon, egg, and cheese bagel sandwich with a small latte because anything bigger would give me a caffeine heart attack. I checked my phone thinking about how quickly I had to choke down this sandwich before I had to race to work to avoid being even a minute late.

That was when the door rang indicating someone had entered. I don't know why I turned, but I did and the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen walked in. She had long dark hair with purple tips that made her look like a goddess.

Her eyes were blue but almost looked purple in the light. She had the palest skin, but not quite paper white. She made my heart stop as she walked up to the barista. "I'll take a black coffee, no sugar or cream," she said so casually.

I couldn't take my eyes off her as I watched her give the barista her name. On the cup, it read Claire. Claire, what a beautiful name. The woman got her coffee and sat down. It took me one second to realize that she had sat right across from me. "You don't mind if I sit here, do you?" she asked.

"Not at all, Claire," I said, wanting to come off as attentive to details.

Instead, she laughed at me. "That's not my name," she said. "It's just the name I give to make it easy for the workers writing it. Even then it's sometimes wrong."

I blushed, feeling awkward and embarrassed that I had made such an assumption. I thought, "Way to go Gwen, you made yourself look like an idiot."

"My real name is Morganna," she said.

"That's too complicated to spell?" I asked.

"It is when they think it's Morgan," she said. "I'm not a fan of the nickname. Makes me sound like an evil sorceress."

"You, evil? Never," I said.

She smiled. "How would you know?" She asked.

"You're too beautiful," I blurted out.

I wanted to bury myself in the ground as I said it. She laughed as she flicked her hair. "It's the beautiful ones you need to watch out for," she said. "You never know their true motives until it's too late."

I realized quickly I would need to say goodbye. "I'll see you later," I said.

"Hang on," Morganna said. "What's your name?"

I turned. "Guinevere," I said.

And then I ran out the door.