Chapter 10: The Midnight Mission

Почніть із самого початку

"Did you feel guilt? Shame? Any remorse for these two?" Mr. Knight asked

"...No... I felt... happy... satisfied" Peter Parker said,

"Hm... Let's dig deeper then Spider-Man" Mr. Knight said as the world changed and showed several different scenarios... all of them with his family. "Ben Reilly, and Kaine Parker... nothing more than clones of you, and yet you accept them, gave them second chances... why? Why allow Ben Reilly who became the Jackal to become the Scarlet Spider of Las Vegas? Why allow Kaine Parker who was a villain, a murderer, and someone who worked for the Assassin's Guild to go ahead and become the Scarlet Spider of Houston"

"Ben... he was just like me... and when I saw him again... I was happy, he was alive again, but he was hurt, he wanted to help, even if it was all for the wrong reasons" The Deadly Spider-Man said looking at a memory of Ben Reilly revealing himself as the Jackal and then switching to when it was him and Ben working together in New York.

The Deadly Spider-Man smiled at those memories. The time he spent with Ben, the day he returned, and how they rebuilt their brotherly relationship until it then changed to the memories of Kaine, a misshapen Clone that eventually became the Second Scarlet Spider.

"Kaine... he was different. The Jackal's first subject and the first failure... in his eyes" The Deadly Spider-Man said looking at Kaine in pity, "But Kaine... I could see what he could be, and how he could be better, and he exceeded all my expectations... I'm glad he got to have a better life than the death that Jackal would have given him"

Mr. Knight was silent, while the Deadly Spider-Man looked at the memories.

"There is one last thing I need to see..." Mr. Knight said, and then the world shifted... and Peter found himself standing outside his childhood home where he could hear a party and the voices of his family, "This... this is something anyone would want. To have a good home, a family... Make your choice Parker"

The Deadly Spider-Man walked up to the steps of the house and then looked through a nearby window and he saw it... Himself, a 35-year-old with two children a boy and a girl, with Mary Jane walking into the apartment only to flash between her, Felicia, and Gwen... And he could hear their parents talking to Aunt May and Uncle Ben... it was everything he could want, but he saw one thing. There wasn't any sign of Spider-Man. It was a life where he wouldn't have been Spider-Man. Peter sighed.

"I don't... need this... not like it would last anyways... It always gets ruined... Maybe one day, when I know it's time for me to stop being Spider-Man, and when this... curse is taken away from me" The Deadly Spider-Man said turning around as he watched the world change and he saw the Midnight Mission in front of him with Mr. Knight smiling him.

"Welcome to the Midnight Mission Spider-Man," Mr. Knight said offering his hand to the Deadly Spider-Man who brought his hand out and shook it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Please stop!"

"We didn't do anything!"

"Why are you doing this?!"

The cries of a married couple could be heard by the Sons of the Jackal as their leader, the Jackal Knight walked towards them, while the Cult of Khonshu watched from a distance with their leader Nepthys, watching the Jackal Knight walk to the couple. The Jackal Knight was the leader of the Sons of the Jackal and was dressed in a golden helmet reminiscent of Anubis, the god of Mummification while wearing white bandages around his legs and arms, but his chest was exposed to the world. The Jackal Knight smiled sadistically as he approached the couple.