Over At The Frankenstein Place

Yet another friends wedding had came and went. The past few months were spent with my friends gushing over our friend, Marie's, wedding. Of course, I was beyond happy for her and that she was starting a new chapter with the love of her life.

It just hurt a little, knowing that I was the only one amongst my friends who didn't have a husband. Hell, I've never really been in a committed relationship. I've had one relationship that I basically forced myself into, just to fit in and get it over with. It was awful.

All the guy cared about was sex and my body. And I let him. Again, to get it over with so I wouldn't remain a virgin forever. It didn't last long. Soon after I gave him what he wanted, he ignored me and found another girl. I didn't really care. It's not like I liked him or had any feelings towards him.

But I had to pretend I cared a little around my friends and such, to seem like I was having normal reactions to my first "break up".

I've had a few one nights stands of in the past, but I never enjoyed it. Seriously. Men are so selfish, they only care about themselves and their own pleasure during sex. Only once, I've been asked if I came, and I had to lie and said yes.

Honestly, the only reason I had one night stands was because I was trying to push myself to feel what other girls must feel. But it just didn't feel good. I wasn't attracted to them. I never cared about them. Sometimes I think there's something wrong with me..

They're good looking men. Kind of. I should be attracted to them, right..? I should've felt a connection with at least one man in the 22 years I've spent on this earth... But, no.

I can't understand it. I crave love and affection, yet, I reject every man, whether they're kind, passionate, conventionally attractive, smug, mean, ugly. It doesn't matter. I just can't seem to find them attractive. Maybe there is something the matter with me.

"Oh, Vanessa! Wasn't the ceremony just beautiful?" My friend, Jane, gushed, clinging onto my arm, while I laughed. "It was. Marie looked beautiful in that dress!" I agreed, as Jane looked to me with sympathy.

"Do you think you'll ever experience that..? You've only ever had one boyfriend years and years ago. I'm just worried you won't find someone..." Jane frowned, and I felt a bit awkward as she spoke. She must be tipsy.

"I'm sure I'll find someone eventually... Just waiting for the right one, I suppose." I nervously chuckled, as Jane sighed. "Well, I hope he's out there somewhere. You deserve to be happy!" She threw her arms around me and I grunted in surprise, before chuckling and wrapping my arms around her in appreciation. "Thanks, Jane..." I thanked her. Although for some reason my smile had faltered a tiny bit when she mentioned the word 'he'.

"Jane, darling! Hurry up, now! I've been waiting here for 5 minutes!" Jane's husband, Charlie called over, while Jane groaned and rolled her eyes. "Maybe you're better off staying single. Men are just a pain in the ass." She muttered and I laughed slightly.
"Jane!"
"I'm coming, Goddamn it!" She yelled back, leaving me, standing at the front of the chapel, as she walked over to her husband, waving me goodbye. I smiled and waved back, watching them leave, before I sighed, and decided to head back to my own car.

I got into my car and sighed, leaning my head back, looking up to the roof of my car. I sat up and placed my hands on the steering wheel, sighing through my nose, as I contemplated my life. I couldn't stand the idea of going back to my small, empty house to sit in solitude with a bottle of wine.

I stared off out the windshield, shaking my head, before starting the engine and driving off.

I didn't know where I was headed. Maybe I would just drive around aimlessly and endlessly until I ran out of gas.

I took a different road to see where it would lead me.

After a couple hours of driving, it started to pour with rain that battered harshly against my windshield, prompting me to sigh. "Terrific." I mutter under my breath, as the man who sold the world by David Bowie played on the radio.

I watched as motorcycles rode past me, one by one. That was maybe the fourth one I've passed so far. They sure do take their life in their hands with the weather.

"What the hell?" I murmured, furrowing my brows, as I seen it was a dead end. Then, where did that motorcycle come from?

I decided to just reverse, turn around and go home. Until I heard a bang and I gasped as my car came to an immediate halt, almost making me fly forward, before I managed to pull myself back.

I tried starting the engine again, hoping I had just hit a curve or something. But the engine wouldn't start. "Oh, fuck sake!" I groaned, my luck really couldn't get any worse. Surely!

I sat in the car, contemplating what to do for a few moments. Even the radio had turned off, so I was sitting in silence, afraid and cold. "This is silly. Sitting here, scared to get a little wet. It's probably just something with the engine." I thought aloud to myself. I probably sounded mad to the average person, talking to myself, but it's what I usually do when I'm alone in my house or car.

I groaned as the weather wasn't lifting up anytime soon. In fact, it seemed to be getting worse. I stepped out of the car, shivering, as I walked over to the front of the car, lifting it up. After inspecting it for a few moments, I came to the realisation that my ignition had ran out. "Gosh, I didn't literally mean I wanted to drive around until I ran out of gas!" I yelled and looked up to the sky, cursing whatever or whoever was up there.

There wasn't even a gas station nearby. The last one I crossed was at least 5 or 6 miles away! I ran my hands down my face, helplessly, letting out a huff of frustration, before almost immediately snapping my head up. I'm pretty sure I passed a castle on the way up here.

It wasn't that far. And it didn't really matter if it was, I was already soaking anyway.

I jogged to the direction of where I had passed the castle, hoping I could use their phone, or maybe they could point me to a nearby gas station.

Walking through the velvet darkness, I was surrounded by nothing but the blackest night, barely able to see anything. But then I could see a light. I walked closer to it, as if it was drawing me in like a moth to a flame. It came from the castle. Over at the Frankenstein place.