|Chapter Two|

Tara and I had been chatting on and off all day, and she had mentioned another party tonight that I might be interested in. It was gonna be smaller, with less people, and there'd be drinks so.

I said I'd think about it, but honestly I really wanted to go. I never really went out by myself or with my own friends, so it was exciting to think about.

I thought about talking to Brandon about it, but I knew he wouldn't like the idea. So I decided I'd just go out, even if I didn't tell him. Even if it wasn't a good idea, I really wanted to go and I didn't want him interjecting or telling me I couldn't go.

Tara 😍: Soooo? Are you coming or not??

Me: I suppose so- I just have to figure out what to wear 🥲

Tara 😍: Omg can I help?? Plsssss!!!

Me: Ok ok!! I'll send you pictures and you can pick lol

Tara 😍: Yayyyy!!!

I put my phone down and shuffled over to my closet.

For the first outfit I chose a nice white button down, and some ripped skinny jeans with white paint stains on them. The second outfit was just a plain black tshirt, with a brown jacket over top that had skeleton print on it, and some baggy black cargo pants. Third outfit was a striped crop top, with some low rise jean shorts with stars drawn on them and some ripped black stockings.

I sent the pictures to Tara and waited for a response, in the meantime I got together some rings and a few necklaces to go with the outfits.

Tara 😍: Omgggg definitely the third outfit!!! It TOTALLY compliments your body type

Me: You think so?

Me: I'll go with that one then!

Tara 😍: You're gonna look great!!!

Tara 😍: I'll see you later then, see ya pooks!!

I smiled at my phone taking a moment to process the fact that I'd not only made one new friend, but three, and they actually liked me.

I placed my phone down and quickly got changed. I still had a couple hours before the party, but I wanted to make sure everything was perfect.

Brandon walked in, and I stopped. I stared at him like a deer in headlights. He gave me a once over, furrowing his brows with what I presumed was anger.

"What are you all dressed up for?" He crossed his arms, he was definitely upset. "Just going out with a few friends tonight, nothing big." I grabbed my phone and shoved it in my pocket, and picked up my keys from the dresser.

"Is it that boy you've been talking to?" I looked at him and sighed, I felt a bit angry with him. He was always butting his nose into everything I did. "Yeah. Is there a problem with that?" I didn't mean to sound so annoyed, and it definitely came out harsher than I intended.

"If you're going out with that boy, then don't come back tonight." He closes the bedroom door on his way out before I can say anything.

I understood I should have said something beforehand, but was he serious?

I walked out of the room, hoping to talk to him about it. I found him downstairs in the kitchen and I tapped his arm.

"I'm sorry I snapped, I'm just a little stressed out. I'm going out with Tara tonight, we're just going to a small party and I'll only be a few hours." I held his hand, waiting for a response.

He took his hand back and crossed his arms "I don't give a shit, go to the fucking party." He stormed out of the room and went back upstairs.

I leaned against the counter and sighed. Brandon and I had been together for a couple years now, and his attitude honestly only got worse. I thought about leaving him, but I didn't want to hurt him.

I got a text from Tara saying she'd be picking me up in about 20 minutes. I tried to shake off my anxiety with Brandon, and just sat in the living room to wait for her.

I got the text from Tara saying she was here, and I sprung up off the couch. I slipped on my beat up converse, and I locked the front door behind me on my way out. I hadn't been this excited for anything in a really long time, and I couldn't wait.

"Heyyy n/n!!" She greeted me with a sweet smile and a big hug. She smelled sweet, almost fruity, and she was dressed in a cute sparkly black dress, with off the shoulder sleeves and some boots.

I envied Tara's style, and especially her body type. I swallowed my jealousy and smiled back at her "Hey Tar! Love your fit." She looked down at herself and then back up at me "Oh my God thank you! You look great too, definitely a good choice." Compliments made me feel good, especially coming from someone like her.

We sat in the car for a bit, just chatting. It felt good to talk to someone other than Brandon and his friends. Tara paused for a second "Oh my God, I'm rambling I'm so sorry!" She laughed and covered her mouth. "No no no! Don't be sorry! I don't mind."

"Do you want the aux?" She handed me the aux cord, and I started playing something from my favorite band.

We listened to music and chatted lightly the whole car ride. Tara made me feel comfortable, something I once again hadn't felt in a long, long time. She was so sweet, and I guess I wasn't exactly used to that.

"You know, I keep rambling. I wanna know more about you! How's your art project going?" I had started a ceramics project a couple weeks ago, and mentioned it to her once so I was surprised she remembered. "Oh! It's almost finished, I just have to finish the glazing." She beamed with excitement "Oh my God!! I can't wait to see it!"

We chatted a bit more, Tara asking me more questions about myself.

We finally got to the party, and Tara parked nearby. She turned to me and flashed me a big grin "You ready to get fucked up?" I laughed at her comment, and nodded my head "Hell yeah!" We step out together and she yells "That's the spirit!!"