5

November 2, 1943

We had been together for a while now getting closer to hopefully America. We were doing okay but still not eating a lot.

The month went by really fast, Bucky and me were getting closer to the Nazi's but we wanted to leave the country.

It was dark outside and we had to make it to the city. "Put your hood over your head" I followed him and we found an abandoned house that we stayed in. Once we entered I noticed cobwebs everywhere and piles of dust.

"We can stay over here" I followed the sound of his voice to the living room. The couch in the room was shredded but still better than the ground. "Have the couch," I heard Bucky say. "What" I shook my head.

"No you have it" Bucky came closer to me. "I'm not going to fight with you on this," he said smiling.

"Fine" I put my bag on the side where I was sleeping. Bucky got down on the floor and began to put his blanket over him. I couldn't see him on the floor while I was sleeping on this couch that felt so nice on my back.

"Bucky" He turned over and looked at me. "Can you please sleep on the couch" He shook his head" "John Clarence Egan get on the couch now," I shouted at him. He started laughing "Fine"

He got up and made his way over to the couch. I got up and he laid down, a smile appearing from his face. I laid on his body, he was warm and it helped that he had a blanket on him.

"Damn this feels good" I smiled why was this what I looked forward too. "You know once we get back there probably going to put you in a home somewhere" My head was laying on his chest. "I'll never see you again," I whispered.

His hand came up and rubbed my head. I couldn't bear the thought of not seeing Bucky again. I had been with him ever day for the past couple of months now. For some reason I don't remember falling asleep, all I saw where lights coming in from the high windows.

Bucky was still fast asleep, his chest was falling up and down. He looked adorable sleeping so soundly for the first time in months.

I wanted to stay here, more like I wanted to stay here forever and never get caught but I knew that wasn't going to happen. So I quietly got up and tried to see if they had any food left in the cabinets.

There was one can of green beans left. My hand grabbed the can and open all the drawers to see if I could open it with anything. Suddenly Bucky's arm grabbed the can and opened the can.

"Thanks" He walked away probably going to the bathroom. I ate some of the beans in the can not really hungry from the adrenaline of what happened last night. My feet went to the bathroom door.

I could hear the running water from the shower. My hand knocked on the door loud enough where he could hear it. "Yeah" My voice was firm "I left you beans" After not hearing anything else I just walked into the living room to see if I had another outfit I could wear.

Bucky and I found 2 pairs of clothes left in a building 2 weeks ago. The shirt was a little baggy on me but overall fine. My mom would tell me you're going to grow into it but was I going to be alive for the next couple of months?

Bucky got out of the shower and walked down the hallway to where I was. "The shower's all your's" I nodded my head. My feet walked into the bathroom where I stripped off my clothes and got into the shower.

Surprisingly the water was warm on my skin. Bucky must have used the cold water, a smile curved upon my lips. Once I was done I put on my clothes and headed to the living room where Bucky was eating beans.

"We need to get some food" I agreed with him. We only had a couple of berries left from the woods and a piece of bread we stole from the bakery. "I'm going to go look and you stay here"

Bucky was always the one to go out and get food and whatever else he could find. I never agreed with him on this but he was too scared that I was going to get caught more than himself.

So I would usually sit there and wait however long it took him. But the thing was we were in a big town so why couldn't I look around for a bit.

I put on my hood and walked out the door like nothing was wrong. Most of the people in this town weren't German or Russian so I think were fine on that part.

Walking down however many streets noticing all the street signs so I knew my way back. There was this cute restaurant sitting in on the side of the block. It looked like more Jews were going in there.

My face lit up seeing how this place hadn't been found out yet. My feet walked over to the entrance. "Hello," The lady said. "Hi um is this place" "We haven't been found out yet and we keep it that way"

"It's free to the town and no one ever talks about it to the bigger towns" "Okay well I have a friend that is also hungry could we possibly stay here?" "Of course"

I didn't realize the time when I was talking to the owner of the place. (Her name was Florence) "Oh I'm so sorry I have to go get that friend before he comes home" "Okay I'll see you tonight right" "Yep bye Florence"

It was a smile that hit my face, I was happy we were getting a meal for once since the war began. Once I saw the door I ran in and planned to wait for Bucky.

My feet raced to the living room to see an angry Bucky. "Where have you been" "I was-" "Don't Margaret look you were outside in this town for how long" I tried to answer but couldn't with Bucky answering for me.

"I'm trying to help you Margaret now please stay inside" I walked over to him and placed my hand on his cheek. "Bucky I met a person she's just like me and she owns a restaurant and there's food"

I took Bucky by his hand and ran over the restaurant. Once we entered Florence was standing over the table. "Florence this is Bucky"

The whole night we were having fun and I mean real fun like I haven't had fun in months. Bucky and I were sitting over at the bar. I was eating soup and it was so good.

"Hello handsome" It was a girl in her early 20's who had blonde hair in a black short dress. "Hi," Bucky said. My face drooped down. Bucky got up and went over to her. They were walking over to the dance floor.

"Oh sweetheart don't look" My face saw Florence eyes. "I don't like him" "Oh honey the way you look at him says something different" And I was left like that while Florence went to tend to someone else.

I was mad at Florence at saying that, I was mad at that girl he was dancing with, And I was mad at Bucky for dancing with her. I think I fell asleep at the table because Florence was waking me up.

"Oh dear please if you're going to sleep I have a lovely bed upstairs" "Thanks Florence but I plan to stay here"

Why couldn't I sit here and watch him with another girl.