Chapter 2 - An Eye for an Eye

It was early in the morning and the sun was starting to rise, but Makoto was already well awake, or in his case, he stayed up all night stacking up cards in an L-shaped tower in the middle of the apartment he lived in, the structure very well reached past the height of a tall person and almost touched the ceiling. For the last two cards to complete his work of art, the boy dangerously stood on three unstable stacked chairs on his tippy toes.

As he was carefully placing the cards in their designated places, a fly landed on the tip of his nose and Makoto blew air in an effort to send it in its merry way, the insect appeared to have taken it personally and continued flying around, often landing on random spots on his head or face. Although seriously annoyed at the stupid fly, Makoto stayed strong and completed his work, marveling as he had a jovial expression on his face from having achieved greatness as he cheered loudly, not caring if the neighbors heard it.

Unfortunately, the same fly returned with a grudge and went straight at his nostril as Makoto yelped while trying to desperately pull the fly out of his nose, his sudden movements were enough to make the chairs give in and the boy fell forward with a loud thud. What was once a feat of great skill was now a mess of cards splayed all over the floor.

"Fuck..." Makoto swore, blowing a card out of his face and staring blankly at the ceiling. "What did I do to be treated like this? I spent all night doing that, you bitch."

"Meow?"

"Precisely, Ryuk." Makoto fully agreed with his feline companion, a golden-eyed stray black cat he adopted when it appeared at his window one night, said male cat approached and sat on his chest. "Somebody up there must be laughing at my misery right now. And I want to punch them."

Exhaling a loud sigh through his nose, the black-haired teenager lifted himself from the ground and started cleaning everything up with Ryuk sitting on his shoulder throughout the process. Since it was still early, he cleaned the rest of his home and for someone as loaded as he was, Makoto chose to live in a simple apartment instead of a luxury penthouse on the highest floor since he saw no point in showing off just because he had the wealth to do it.

Once done with cleaning and his morning shower, Makoto again dressed in the pair of blue sweatpants and long-sleeved white shirt that he usually slept in had just finished ironing his academy uniform and left it in the bedroom before heading towards the kitchen, preparing himself some breakfast. Having a bowl filled with cereal mixed with fruits, chocolate milk, and a slice of cake to eat after, he took a seat at the table.

"You know, Ryuk, I was thinking." Makoto brought a spoon of cereal into his mouth, speaking with his mouth full. "Maybe I should try looking for a girlfriend."

Ryuk meowed, tilting his head. "I saw some catchy gals at the academy, like those two I told you about. Tsuzura seems nice and all, but she's too shy for my taste. Mary on the other hand..." He swallowed and filled his mouth again with cereal. "Nah, it's still early for that but I don't think she's for my taste too, I just get the feeling she's a bit arrogant. I don't know, I guess I yearn for the touch of a girl."

"Hiss!"

"Jeez, jealous much." Makoto deadpanned, quickly smothering his cat with affection to ease the jealousy.

.

.

.