eight

It's quali day and we are currently debriefing practice 3. Yesterday it seemed we could be contenders for a podium but practice three humbled us, although it was Oscar's best practice, the cars have been dropping compared to others. We are discussing possible setups for qualifying and trying to brainstorm what we could do to the front wing since we seemed to be having a little more porpoising than we estimated. 

Once debriefing finished, we all head towards the hospitality to get lunch. I took my notebook to write down any ideas I got to improve the car, which I could later try out in a computarized simulation. I choose a wrap from the buffet and head on to an outside table to enjoy the fresh air.

"Hey Indi, mind if I seat?" I look up and find Sam, Lando's mechanic. I nod and arrange my stuff so he can put his tray on the table. "Thanks, really want to enjoy the outdoors before I have to put our overalls back on!"

"I get you, I want to get all the fresh air I can before I have to go back to the computer room." I take a bite and keep quiet while I munch on it. "Are you nervous for quali? Because I know I am. Practice seemed more like testing and now is when we really measure our car against others."

"Yeah, a little. But I think I am more excited than anything, its been a long time since we last raced so its nice to get back into that mindset. Besides, I think everything will go alright, besides the top 3, the rest are a gamble so lets hope we get good results" He smiles at me and he kind of put me at ease a little bit. It's been difficult to find someone to vent to, since because of the time difference, I can't always talk to my parents or Julia.

"Let's hope!" We move onto lighter topics, his family that, similar to me, he had to move out across the world from New Zealand, so he doesn't see them much, how he loves to surf and he wishes that England was warmer. Soon we both finish our food but continue to chat and laugh, we have now moved on to embarassing childhood stories.

"I swear, it was my first time riding the quad alone and I couldn't for the life of me remember how you stopped, so I just kept pressing the button, and I acelerated straight into the fence." I am almost doubled over from laughing even though it was really traumatic for a 7 year old Indi. "Safe to say, I never went back on the quad alone" 

"Oh my God, and here you are, designing the most dangerous vehicles in the world, what a plot twist"

"Yeah, I think its safer that I stay as far away from the steering wheel as I can!"

"Remind me to never take you go karting! I fear for my-"

"Hey Indi, how are you?" Oscar interrupts Sam, and I look up, shading my eyes with my hand.

"Hey Os! I'm great, how are you? Excited for today?" I answer a little confused but smiling nevertheless.

"Really! But more nervous than anything, have you met my girlfriend yet? She flew in for my debut and I think you both would get on well, she is studying engineering after all"

"Omg! I didn't know! Is she inside? I can meet her now" Oscar nods while smiling and I get up from my place, taking my trash with me. "Sorry Sam, meet you later! And if I don't see you, good luck!" I follow Oscar inside where he guides me towards a light brunnete girl. 

"Hey Lily, this is Indi, the engineer I talked to you about" 

"Hey! It is so nice to finally meet you, Lily! Oscar tells me you are doing an engineering degree?"

"Hi Indi, likewise! Yes, I am a year-ish away from finishing, I am trying to guide it more towards racing, maybe design or part printing" She shyly looks down.

"Oh that would be so cool! If you end up working for mclaren we could end up on the same subdivision" I seat down in front of her so that we can continue chatting.