(7) Wingman? More Like Weingman (2/3)

"It-It's a lie. Everything Wei Wuxian said is a lie" Jiang Cheng got out through heavy breaths. His need for getting his message to Lan Xichen as soon as possible was more important than catching his breath. To no surprise Lan Xichen's expression greatly improved when hearing the words Jiang Wanyin spoke. Being a very trusting person he fully bought the Jiang's claims in spite of anything the Wei had previously tried to convince him of.

"Is that really the case? A-ha-ha. I was really worried there for a moment, but I'm so glad you feel the same way as me" Lan Xichen spoke with a wavering voice filled with relief. Wearing the most beautiful of smiles in the entire world he stole Jiang Cheng's heart as fast as it crushed it. Zewu-jun was happy, joyful even, at the reveal that the Jiang in fact didn't like him.

"Yeah... we feel the same way." Jiang Cheng agreed as he let his gaze fall to the floor, worried that his gaze might reveal how his soul felt like it was breaking in two. Jiang Cheng had already known that confessing his feelings wouldn't lead to anything other than more suffering. It was the reason why he hadn't mentioned anything to Lan Xichen yet, dealing with his unrequited feelings was already punishment enough. No need to drag the Lan into it as well.

"Bahahahahaha!" Wei Wuxian laughed, alerting the two cultivators to the fact that he was still present.

"What now? Brother-in-law, this better not another one of your games" Lan Xichen said with a scowl. Apparently sect leader Lan had, contrary to Jiang Cheng's previous belief, already gotten used to Wei Wuxian's shenanigans as well.

"Well, in a way I suppose it is. Because... hahaha, because... hahaha" Wei Wuxian wasn't able to contain himself long enough to explain. Thankfully, his less amused husband was.

"Wei Ying lied and told his brother that he was going to tell to you that sect leader Jiang is in love with you, and so then he came rushing over here to deny it..." Lan Wangji frowned in Jiang Wanyin's direction. He had long since known about his brother's feelings and so to think that this man, who was nowhere near good enough for Lan Xichen, had rushed over in an attempt to try and break his brother's heart... Oh, if Lan Wangji didn't despise him before he sure did now.

But his husband had accurately predicted the Jiang's cruel lies and set a trap in place. Though Lan Wangji hadn't been very fond of Wei Ying's plan either. Breaking his brother's already fragile heart by telling him to get over the man that he loved, because he wouldn't ever like him back, at a time like this was too harsh. Lan Xichen had only recently lost both his sworn brothers, it was too early for even more heartbreak. Lan Wangji didn't mind telling his brother to find someone better, but right now was not the time.

Lost in his hatred of the Jiang Lan Wangji never decided to give sect leader Jiang an explanation of the other side of the situation. He didn't even think he deserved one. The longer he remained in pain the better. But this didn't just affect the despicable Jiang, something he found out when Lan Xichen was first to break the silence.

Plastering a painfully fake smile on his face the Lan attempted to stay calm as he spoke "In that case, please disregard my previous statements. If you will all excuse me, I just remembered that I have some important documents to sign" bowing his head he intended to head into Hanshi without any knowledge of when he would next emerge, perhaps this would be the start of a new seclusion.

But before he had the chance he felt a light tug on his left sleeve. "S-sect leader Lan. Please take a walk with me" Jiang Cheng was confused, scared, and honestly more than a little worried. He didn't quite understand what Wei Wuxian had done, having not heard the Lan's explanation over his brother's loud cackling, but it had left Lan Xichen upset yet again so it wasn't like Jiang Cheng could just let the mess be and pretend it was nothing.

Jiang Wanyin judged that the best solution in a situation like this would be to clear the air. He wasn't very fond of the idea of being vulnerable and letting others know what he felt, but right now shit was already hitting the fan and letting it be would only cause it to spray all over.

Asking for a walk was simply an excuse to get Lan Xichen alone. It wasn't that Jiang Cheng was worried about the couple overhearing them, with all of the things they said on a daily basis it wasn't like they had any right to judge, but Wei Wuxian had caused enough problems for one day. Getting away from him was undoubtedly the preferable option if Jiang Cheng wanted a heart-to-heart with the older Lan.

"I-" But from the tone alone Jiang Cheng could tell that the answer was going to be a no, sect leader Lan didn't wish to speak with him. So before he could finish what he wanted to say Jiang Cheng pleaded "Please, it will only be a minute and then I'll head straight back to Yunmeng"

Thinking about it, Lan Xichen eventually agreed. "Fine. You have a minute." The walk away from Hanshi and out of hearing distance of their brothers felt longer and more arduous than walking with Lan Xichen had ever felt before. Jiang Cheng had many times before wished he could slow down time during the few times when it was just the two of them and now that he'd gotten his wish it fucking sucked. "Just say what you're going to say" Zewu-jun said, urging him to get it over with. The lack of even politely feigned interest made it very clear that the Lan too wanted to be anywhere but here with him.

"So... I-... uhm... Soo..." Jiang Cheng sighed, frustrated by his sudden lack of speech. Looking out over a familiar field he decided to take a less direct approach to express his feelings. "Zewu-jun, do you remember that time when Jin Ling and Lan Sizhui got together to practice horseback riding?"

Lan Huan remembered. Of course he did. Jin Ling had borrowed a horse from the Lan sect and it had turned into a complete disaster. The gray mare had never had any problems before then, but perhaps there was something which had scared it or it wasn't used to the Jin's riding style. Either way she began to panic and even got up on her hind legs, kicking young master Jin off her back in the process of fighting the unknown threat.

Lan Xichen had also panicked. Without any regard for his own health and safety he had rushed out into the kick-zone of the horse to catch the falling Jin. Luckily they had both made it out safely, but it could have ended so much worse. He could have gotten kicked or crushed, or even worse he could have gotten kicked or crushed whilst carrying Jin Rulan. In that moment ensuring the safety of Jiang Wanyin's nephew had been the only thing on his mind. So much so that he had gotten to the Jin even before Jiang Wanyin himself had thought through what to do.

"That was the day when I realized we didn't feel the same way about each other." Jiang Wanyin said. And of course it was. In a situation where there wasn't any time to think before you act Lan Xichen had shown his true feelings, prioritizing the young Jin's health above his own. He barely even knew Jin Rulan, they didn't share blood and had only met a few handful of times before then. No one would have blamed him for not doing what he did, not even sect leader Jiang who loved Jin Ling more than life itself would have expected him to go so far to save his beloved nephew.

"I was so thankful for you saving my boy. But my first instinct wasn't to hug you, to shower you with wealth, or even to thank you in order to show my gratitude... No, in that moment the first thought which popped up in my head was that I wanted to rush over and kiss you." Jiang Cheng wanted to stop talking, he'd said enough hadn't he? Each word escaping his lips was pure torture and so he just wanted to be done, to leave for Yunmeng and never look back the way he had promised Lan Xichen before the start of their walk. But before then there were some more words which needed to be said "I know this isn't ideal, but I would be very grateful if sect leader Lan won't let this impact the collaborations between our two sects" Jiang Cheng finished, bowing his head hoping his wishes could be met.

(Part 2/3)