(1) Fever

A/N: I had a fever, read a fic of Jiang Cheng having a fever, and wrote a story of Jiang Cheng having a fever. My imagination is simply endless. Let's play a game, see if you can figure out what line sparked this entire story.

--

Lan Xichen was out strolling around the Cloud Recesses as Lan Wangji and his husband returned from their trip to Yunmeng. Wei Ying was dramatically slumped over as his beloved Lan Zhan carried him maiden-style. This wasn't unusual for the two, nor was the insistent chattering Wei Wuxian was doing.

"You're wrong! How dare you accuse me of infecting you when you're the one who had a fever first..." Wei Wuxian rambled into the nothingness. But as much as Lan Xichen's brother-in-law liked to spew bullshit he usually did so whilst making at least some semblance of sense.

"You don't think I heard about it from Jin Ling? That boy is working his ass off to take care of you." Flinging his arms around as he argued with himself, Wei Ying struck his husband's shoulder. An action which was not only weak due to his lack of strength but it was also completely ignored by Lan Wangji.

"Pah, who cares that you took care of him first?" Sounded like Wei Ying was repeating an argument he had had with his brother. Walking closer to inquire of their visit Lan Huan approached, but one look from his brother stopped him dead in his tracks.

"It's highly contagious" was all he said before retreating into Jingshi to avoid anyone else falling victim to the illness his husband had caught. After instructing one of their disciples to provide Lan Wangji's home with food and water for the next couple of weeks to allow the two cultivators to quarantine Lan Xichen made off to Yunmeng, Lotus Pier. If this illness was as contagious as they said, then Jin Ling would likely be down for the count right about now and the uncle-nephew pair was in need of care.

Lotus Pier looked desolate in comparison to what it usually was like, to protect his disciples sect leader Jiang had sent most of them home to make sure his illness didn't spread further than it had to. The familiar halls were empty and carried a deafening silence as Lan Huan walked through them. Outside of Jiang Cheng's bedroom they had set up a temporary couch on which Lan Xichen found an exhausted pile of yellow fabric.

"Zewu-jun" the tired Jin rasped. Attempting to stand up he was unsteady on his feet and stumbled about before once more falling down on the couch he'd been resting on. If he wasn't sick already he was on the cusp of either becoming sick or having a burnout. Either way his appearance made it clear that he needed to continue to rest. His clothes were unkempt and his face had turned a bleak and sickly white. A stark contrast to the usually animated and dignified sect heir.

"Don't worry young master Jin, I'll go take care of your uncle. You should rest." Lan Xichen said, helping the Jin to lay down once more. When he attempted to leave the older cultivator was stopped by two big expecting eyes staring up at him. It was the same childish eyes Lan Sizhui would give him back when he was younger or sick. Leaning over he tucked in the young cultivator and hummed him to sleep. It didn't take long for the exhaustion to take over and the Jin was soon deep asleep. Light snoring could be heard as Lan Huan went to leave, there was still one more patient to care for.

Being light on his feet so as to not wake Jin Ling, Lan Xichen snuck into sect leader Jiang's bedroom and gently closed the door behind him. Nervousness filled his stomach as he took a couple of steps inside. It wasn't like Lan Huan hadn't been in here before, he just hadn't been in here alone. Not that he was alone now either. In the center of the room laying on a luxurious bed was sect leader Jiang.

Unlike his own sleeping position, young master Jin had taken great care to make sure his uncle was laying down properly. There wasn't a crinkle in sight on the soft duvet that covered the man. He was spotless, the image of handsome perfection, as though he was being prepared to become part of an exhibit rather than recovering from being sick.