Chapter Six: Serve and Protect

"WE CRACKED STEVE'S phone!"

"I talked to Marsha again."

Alison and Cooper talked in unison as they approached Alexa the moment she entered. The two of them shared a look and Cooper gestured to Ali to talk first. She nodded and turned her gaze back to Alexa. "So, Steve had been texting back and forth with some guy named VagaBond about meetups and everything. And guess what, Steve asked VagaBond to meet him outside the casino because he wanted to pass something to Mr. X."

"So there is a bigger picture here. The case doesn't stop at Van Burke. There is a Mr. X and I'm guessing it isn't Burke or else he wouldn't use the alias VagaBond. V.B."

"Good news is," Cooper piped in. "It is enough for a judge to sign off for a warrant. I've already sent it."

"Okay and did Marsha provide any lead?"

"Ah, somewhat," Cooper said. "He needed the money because the apartment was going co-op. He needed to make a down payment immediately. But she doesn't know how Steve got the money. She assumed he borrowed from his parents."

"Alright. What about the sports club? Any leads there?"

"Um, yes. One of the partial prints matches with a guy that is a member of The X's. Brad Lucas. He has a history of vandalism and is a part of the official team at WSA. I found a video from a week before he was killed about Steve and Brad having a very public fight. It's unclear why though."

"We should wait until we bring Brad. It might tip Burke off."

"Did visiting Ty be of any help?"

"He did say that if it's not Burke then it's probably one of his men."

"I still don't understand why we are believing him," Ali said—her ponytail swaying as she turned her head to Alexa.

Alexa drew a long breath. "Believe me, I don't either."

***

It was past ten at night and Alexa had fallen asleep watching a cooking show. The half-eaten bowl of popcorn rested between her thighs. She felt a cool breeze on her cheek and she opened her eyes. A sharp pain shot from the back of her neck for letting it rest unsteadily on the couch. She blinked her eyes open and wiped the drool off of the edge of her lips.

Her eyes contracted as she looked at the TV. She grabbed the remote and switched it off—the only light in her room was the lamp from one end of her living room. She stretched and let out a yawn. Cracking her knuckles, she picked up the bowl and went into the kitchen to keep it. She shut the window and the light off.

She was on her way to bed when her phone rang from the dining table. She was fully awake by the time she saw her best friend's name flashing on the screen. A jolt of panic raced down her spine when she checked the time.

"Cara, is everything okay?" Alexa said, not letting the anxiety come off in her voice.

"Farhan and I...we are in the hospital." Cara said between her sobs. "Sofia...her seizures are back. She has been having nightmares again. I...I don–"

"Send me the address, I am on my way." In less than thirty minutes, Alexa was running down the hospital's corridor looking for Cara and Farhan. She spotted Cara sitting on one of the chairs with Farhan holding her against his chest, slowly rubbing her arms. Cara's eyes turned towards Alexa when she heard her boots slapping on the tiled floor. "Where's she?" Alexa questioned as soon as her best friend crashed in her arms.

"They're doing tests on her," Farhan answered calmly.

"Hey," Alexa said as she pulled Cara from her. "Look at me." She held her face and tucked her hair behind her ears. Cara's eyes had turned bloodshot red with evident puffiness around her eyes. "Sofia is strong, okay? She will be okay. She has to be. We are here to protect her."

"I know, I know." Cara faltered. "But...her kidnapper...he is still out there and my daughter is still facing the consequences of his actions!" She screamed. "I swear to God if the cops don't find him, I will! I will kill that mother–"

"Ma'am!" One of the nurses yelled out. "This is a hospital."

"I-Im sorry!" Cara whisphered, falling back into the chair. "I—" She started rubbing her temples when a doctor approached them. He informed the three of them that Sofia is okay and that it will take some time for the reports to come back. She was conscious and asking for her parents.

A relieved smile appeared on their faces as they rushed into her room. Sofia was sleeping on a bed, smiling at the nurse as she asked her a few questions. The moment she saw the three of them, she smiled brightly—all the weariness from her face dulling despite her placid skin.

"Lex!" She called out. She tried to sit up but fell back immediately. Alexa jumped forward and hugged her. "I missed you. You said you'd visit last weekend. Where were you?"

"I'm sorry, baby. I had to put bad guys away. But you get out of the hospital as soon as possible and I'll take a day off for you, deal?" She caressed her hand over her face.

"You promise?"

"I promise."

Alexa stepped aside and Cara went to hug her. "Momma," Sofia murmured. "I am okay. Don't worry about me. I am okay."

"Honey, you're my daughter. I am always going to be worried about you."

Farhan had been keeping a strong face the entire time but Alexa gave him one look from her peripheral vision and she noticed tears pooling his eyes. She stood beside him and placed a hand on his shoulders, giving a light squeeze. "She is seven," he muttered, only to her. "When did she grow up so much?"

"Farhan." His name was soft on her tongue. "It's not your fault."

"Isn't it?" His breathing hitched. "I am supposed to protect her."

"So am I. I have failed too but I made sure the best detectives are on the case and the moment there is any sign of him—we will catch him."

Farhan nodded. He watched his wife and daughter interact—a smile glowing on his face. After a brief pause, he snapped her head towards Alexa and nudged her to get her attention. "You didn't fail either, Lex. She is alive because of you." His eyes flickered momentarily to her stomach. "We will always be grateful for that."

Alexa simply nodded, her chest still heavy with the pang of guilt.