Chapter 3: Whispers in Ink

The illustrations in the mysterious book were unlike anything Alice or I had ever seen. They depicted fantastical creatures - winged serpents soaring through swirling clouds, six-limbed humanoids wielding blazing swords, and beings of pure light navigating ethereal landscapes. The style was both intricate and fluid, the colors vibrant and otherworldly.

"It's like looking into a different dimension," I whispered, mesmerized by the artwork.

Alice nodded, her brow furrowed in concentration. "And these symbols..." she muttered, tracing her finger across a page filled with swirling glyphs. "They look faintly familiar. Almost like the ones I saw in that old manuscript about forgotten languages."

Hope ignited within me. Maybe these symbols held the key to unlocking the secrets of the book and the woman in the hologram.

"Do you think you can translate them?" I asked, clutching the book to my chest.

Alice gave me a hesitant smile. "It wouldn't be easy. It might take some digging through ancient texts and forgotten languages, but I'm willing to try, Amber."

Relief washed over me, though a nagging worry pinched at my chest. "What about my parents?" I asked. "They'll be furious I left again."

Alice's face sobered. "They will be, but they can't keep you locked up forever. But, you can't keep running away from everything. Maybe after dinner, you can explain things to them, at least partially. Tell them you need a break, some time to explore your interests. They can't argue with that forever, can they?"

A faint hope flickered within me. Perhaps Alice was right. Maybe a calm, honest conversation would make a difference. But deep down, I knew my parents wouldn't be easy to convince. Their vision of my future didn't include dusty libraries and cryptic books. It was filled with debutante balls and boardroom meetings.

Exhaustion washed over me like a living force. The emotional rollercoaster of the day, the hidden books, the gift unwrapping- it had all taken its toll.

"Maybe you should head home, get some rest," Alice suggested, her voice gentle. "We can work on the book tomorrow."

I nodded gratefully. "Thanks, Alice. By the way, you should really consider visiting the docter if you have any more coughing fits." I said as I pecked her on the cheek.

As I walked out of the library, a part of me wished I could stay here and never leave but the ktger more sensible part of me knew that delaying the storm wasn't going to stop the strom from coming. Today, I needed to make myself and my ambitions crystal clear to my parents.

Reaching the mansion, I took a deep breath, steeling myself for the inevitable confrontation. The house was silent, the guests likely gone. My parents, I knew, would be fuming.

Entering the grand living room, I braced myself. They were both seated on opposite ends of the plush sofa, a tense silence hanging heavy in the air.

"Amber," my mother said, her voice laced with ice. "Where have you been?"

"At the library," I half whispered, meeting her gaze head-on. "With Alice."

"Another escape?" My father's voice boomed, a vein pulsing on his temple. "Is this your way of showing gratitude?"

"No," I said, surprising even myself with my newfound boldness. "It's my way of showing you that I have interests beyond debutante balls and charity galas. I like books, and yes, even ancient languages. I like writing, I like reading and when you try to stop me from doing these, It just makes me want to do them even more. It's who I am."

The words hung in the air, a challenge and a plea rolled into one. My mother's lips pressed into a thin line, while my father stared at me with a mixture of anger and disbelief.