theta-lympics

"yeah i don't know there was this... knot? i felt in my chest no my throat- no like between my chest and my throat and i wanted to speak, but couldn't like i was mute or something" rue sat on the common room couch explaining what happened last night before she went over to ashley's. they didn't know but she sneaked back in at 6 am.

"looks like you got your heart broken" kayla gave her a sympathetic smile  

"no shut up, ew" rue was disgusted at the thought 

"like it or not rue, you've got a crush on leighton" abby raised her hands in defence as she munched on her doritos 

"no why would you think that? i have taste, okay?" rue got up and walked in her room, closing the door behind her. 

she sat on her study table, when her eyes fell on leighton's phone. she couldn't help but think, were they right? did she actually like leighton? 

"there's no way right? me liking leighton? that's... no" she whispered to herself, justifying it rather. 

rue took out her phone and shot a text to leighton.

'hey i have your phone, you left it at the center last night' 

"sent" she whispered to herself and saw leighton's phone on her table light up "huh? oh, right" she shook her head at her own stupidity. 

"hey rue" kayla peeked in her room "since you're obviously heartbroken, there's this party theta is hosting. you should come with us, abby's hookup will let us in." kayla didn't expect any response

"yeah sure i guess" kayla almost screamed when rue agreed to the party making rue smile. "i have to go now" rue got up "women's centre" 

"hey rue" lindsay said when she saw rue walk in through the door 

"hey what's up" she said walking in and sitting down. she turned to leighton "here" she handed her the phone "i don't know how you survived the whole night without this" 

"thanks" she checked her messages "you could've returned it last night" 

"i.. didn't see you last night" rue lied avoiding eye contact 

"wait, did you send me a text saying you have my phone when you literally had my phone?" leighton laughed at rue's stupidity as the latter just scratched her forehead in embarassment 

"did you actually do that?" lindsay giggled leaning into rue's shoulder "that's actually cute" which made leighton roll her eyes, unknowingly.

night arrived rather quickly and rue wore her signature leather jacketover some t shirt that kayla picked out and pants that abby picked out, with her heavy boots that added a couple inches to her height. 

the three were in their common room. vodka shots in hand

"our first pregame. the three of us" abby said "cheers y'all" rue smiled at the girl's excitement. if she knew how much it meant to them, she'd have been with abby to all those parties that she declined. 

the three walked the campus and stood in the line outsidethe theta building in the freezing cold when a brown haired boy came outside making eye contact with abby then letting the three girls in. 

"okay one of you needs to stay with me, i don't know anybody here" rue looped her arm with kayla's when abby took off with her brown haired boy.

"wait is that...?" kayla pointed at a certain blonde "leighton?" 

"well, shit?" rue mumbled 

"c'mon, let's get you a drink" kayla tried taking rue away from the blonde but wherever they went, rue's eyes found leighton. 

rue, with a beer bottle in hand looked at leighton, from time to time, talking to her friends. and that sight made kayla sigh, so she grabbed rue's hand and took her out in the yard. it was less noisy and some people were here already. 

"why are we here?" rue asked taking a sip 

"you know why we are here" kayla looked at rue 

"okay if this about leighton, i am just gonna tell you right now, i do not like her" rue emphasized 

"who are you kidding?" kayla scoffed "you look at her like she's everything you could ever want" 

"what? that's bullshit. its slander" rue took a big swig gulping it down. she did not like the truth one bit. 

just then as if by the books, leighton walked outside with alicia. which obviously made rue and kayla look at the two. 

"i mean sure, i'd makeout with her but like totally platonically ya know?" rue glanced at leighton, before setting her gaze on kayla 

"you can't makeout with someone platonically" kayla shook her head in disppontment 

"yes you absolutely can" she looked in alicia's direction when she heard someone fall. alicia had pushed a guy of out anger "shit, hold my beer" 

she went over to the two and tried to stop the six foot guy when he got into an argument with alicia. rue pushed the guy further back and stood directly in front of alicia, covering her. the other frat boys arrived taking the boy away by his arms before the situation could escalate. 

"jesus. alicia" rue turned around "are you kidding me? he could've done some serious damage. for god's sake you're like five foot tall" rue scolded her 

"i am five foot two" 

"doesn't help your argument" rue chided her before she walked over to alicia taking the beer and storming off. 

"rue!" leighton called her and rue did not have any other choice rather than to stop 

"what?" she turned around making eye contact with leighton "i just fucking saved your lover, don't you dare twist that shit and blame me somehow" 

"that's not true" leighton lowered her voice 

"yes it is" 

"no, i mean, i mean" she stuttered making rue tilt her head in confusion "what you said about alicia that's not true" 

"what are you-?"

 leighton looked unsure, taking shallow breaths as she leaned up and connected her lips to rue's. with one hand on rue's arm and the other placed firmly on her neck. 

"okay?" rue was dumbfounded, catching her breath. even though the kiss wasn't long, rue's heart pounded and her head spinned. she smiled "i was wrong about that, huh?" she gave an airy laugh 

"shut up" leighton whispered through her smile. 

rue reached over and placed her hands on either side of leighton's waist, pulling her close. she put her finger under leighton's chin making the girl look up at her, before leaning down for another. leighton's hands glided up on rue's back stopping at the back of her neck as she kissed the dark haired girl back. 

for rue, it was the perfect moment. she did not know how much she wanted this untill a few minutes ago.

that night was more than anything rue could've wished for. she took leighton back to her room when the two decided to leave the party together.

it was late at night when the two finished. leighton was getting ready to leave as rue sat on her bed looking at leighton putting her sweater on.

"yeah, i could get used to this sight" rue smiled making leighton look back at her "hey, uh, i know you have the habit of just running off after sex, so do i actually but" she paused "why don't you stay? we could watch some random sitcom?" rue shrugged

"yeah i guess" leighton smiled to herself walking over and getting comfortable in the place rue made for her "but this does not mean anything, i still hate you as much" rue chuckled opneing her laptop

"oh the feeling's mutual" she gave a thumbs up before placing her arm underneath leighton's head. the blonde leaning into her touch