vs The Secret Beneath The Sand

Mike looked at all the college kids down on the beach. "We're going to stick out like sore thumbs,"

"We're not here to party," said Chris. "We have a job to do."

"Can't we just get everyone off the beach?"

"We could," said Chris, pulling the surfboard down from the roof of the VW camper. "But not without a sane, perfectly normal explanation."

"Right," said Mike.

"Because if we shout monster?"

"We'll get locked up."

"And then?"

"We won't be able to help people."

"Exactly," said Chris.

The pair headed off to join the party. It didn't take long before they started noticing strange looks and people pointing.

Mike tried to ignore the attention. "You ever seen one of these things before?"

"Nope," said Chris. "But I've read about them. A lot."

A shirtless blonde guy stepped up in front of the pair. He pointed to the surfboard. "Dude, there's no waves today."

"We're not surfing," said Chris, looking around the beach. "We're hunting."

"Oh," said the blonde guy. "Cool." And with that he grabbed a beer and left them to it.

"You have the device," said Chris.

Mike nodded and pulled something that like an eighties mobile phone from his jacket. He flipped a switch on the side and turned a dial. The air around them hummed. There was a sudden scream off to the left and party goers scattered like pigeons being chased by a toddler.

"It's here," said Chris. He dropped the surfboard and stamped on it. The board shattered, revealing a large rifle, which he picked up.

The party goers were really panicking now as something moved just below the surface of the sand. It was closing fast on Chris and Mike.

"When I tell you," said Chris. "Press the red button."

They both tensed as the shifting sand moved closer.

"Now?" said Mike.

"Not yet."

The raised line of sand was nearly upon them.

"Now?"

"Now!"

Relieved, Mike pressed the red button. Several feet in front of them, a large shelled creature, with hundreds of feet and many more teeth, leapt up from the sand.

Chris lined up the rifle.

"Smile, you sonofabitch!"

BANG!