(05) coffee at midnight

★・・・・・・★ ・・・・・・★

des and matti had a lot of catching up to do. the past two weeks have felt like two years. time doesn't move very fast when they're not together.

that's how they found themselves sitting on destiny's bed. criss cross apple sauce, of course. they sat like middle school girls gushing about jack's new haircut.

"he got me this chain." she pointed at the shimmering chain on her neck.

"it's silver." he pointed out. "you like gold."

"he didn't know." she shrugged. "besides, i'm fine with both."

mattia thought chris was the dumbest person to cross earth. everyone knew des preferred gold over silver. she liked its warmth, and how it reminds her of the sun, and it's blazing heat, and how it always leads her to go for a swim. whereas silver reminds her of cold nights were the moon is round and prominent. shining at her as she shivers, wishing for the sun to come out.

they talked for hours.

"i'm really hungry." she realized. she remembered she didn't have time to eat lunch. she was surviving off of the avocado toast she ate this morning, and a shit ton of salt water from when she was at the beach.

"let's go get food." he stood up immediately.

by the time she got in the car she changed her mind. "can we go to dunkin? i want coffee."

"wherever you want." he nodded, driving to dunkin.

"what's your favorite donut?"

"really, des?" he looked at her. "small talk?" he turned his head to face the road. "you know my favorite donut."

"you're such a basic bitch! a plain chocolate donut? still?" she scoffed.

"that used to be your favorite donut, don't forget."

"yeah, when i was in 3rd grade and my diet consisted of dino nuggets and pasta!"

"shit, they're closing!" mattia pointed to the guy putting away racks of donuts.

"it's not midnight yet!" she shook her head, "go to the drive thru!"

he quiet literally zoomed to the drive thru. the guy working the window rolled his eyes as he took their order.

they were now at some random parking lot, eating donuts and drinking coffee.

"drinking coffee at midnight doesn't seem like a responsible thing to do." des pointed out.

"when have you ever been responsible?" he laughed.

just then, a car passed by, its light reflecting the chain she was wearing.

she looked down at it. she smiled and fiddled with it. she was content. everything was going back to the way it used to be. she was in a happy relationship, and her best friend was finally just her best friend again.

mattia opened the sunroof and said, "look up." he pointed to the stars.

since the sunroof was pretty small, they had to lean on the center console to look through it.

"so many stars." she realized.

"mhm." he nodded, adjusting the way he was sitting to get a better view.

while he was adjusting the way he was sitting, their shoulders brushed. for some reason, that was enough for destiny to blush. it was one touch, but she felt enough. she felt like she didn't want him to move further. the fact that they were both wearing sleeveless shirts, and they had skin to skin contact for the first time in weeks made her insides squirm. she could not get enough of it for some reason.

she wanted more of it.

it was really weird that she was feeling this way. chris never has a shirt on. skin to skin is all she knows with him, but he never made her feel like this. why can't her boyfriend make her feel the same way her best friend does?

they drove back home in silence. silence was never this loud before. silence was screaming comfort at them.

she got out of the car, but mattia was still inside.

"you're not coming in?" she asked.

"i don't think larri would be very happy to see me." he commented.

"then larri can take it up with me." she shrugged. "get inside. come home." she walked inside, mattia hot on her tail.

"what the fuck is he doing here?" larri gave mattia a disgusted look.

"he's home?" des said as if it was the most obvious thing ever.

"no, his home is with his parents that can't keep his hands off of him." larri snarled. "if he's back here this early, they didn't give him a good beating."

mattia stood behind des, his mouth partially open in shock. instinctively, his hand reached out and grabbed destiny's pinky.

des took off the flip flop she was wearing and threw it at larri. it landed right on his head.

"did you just throw your chancla at me?!" larri gasped.

"next time you say something like that it's gonna be a skillet." she said. "and i'm not fucking joking, larri."

"jeez, i'm sorry."

"don't apologize to me, apologize to matti."

"i'm sorry mattia." larri grumbled.

"whatever." he rolled his eyes, walking straight to destiny's room.

"what's up with you?" she scoffed, putting a hand on her hip.

"i'm sorry i care about you." he rolled his eyes.

"you never bring that shit up again, okay?" she said, pointing a finger. "he told you that in confidence, you don't get to bring it up ever."

she practically ran to her room. mattia was laying face flat on her bed.

"you okay, matti?" she asked, laying down next to her.

"i really don't fucking like your roommate right now." he grumbled.

"yeah, he has that impression on people." she sighed. "he cares, you know? a lot. consequently, that's his downfall as well. he can't differentiate between caring, and overstepping."

"that's evident." mattia said, rolling to lay on his back.

"i'm sorry, mattia." she tussled his hair.

he put his hand on his head, to fix his hair that she was messing up, when his hand landed right on top of hers.

they both blushed and pulled their hands back.

soon enough, mattia went to sleep. destiny, however, couldn't. she was a classic insomniac. she longed for sleep, but it was never around long enough to fulfil her needs. also, the fact that she just had a full cup of coffee does not help.

one thing that helped her become sleepy was writing. she loved writing. she wrote everything. poems, journal entries, and occasionally some songs.

there was one thing she couldn't write about, though. she couldn't write about love. she never really truly thought she felt genuine love, so she never wrote about it. she wasn't talking about friendship love, or familial love. she was talking about love love.

yeah, her past boyfriends made her feel respected, and admired, but never loved. after the events of the past month, she gave up on writing about it. she doesn't even think about it anymore.

with an angry huff, she slammed her journal shut. she shoved it in her drawer, and laid back down on her back. she stared at the ceiling until she fell asleep.

★・・・・・・★ ・・・・・・★

insomniac twins