(01) no caller id

★・・・・・・★ ・・・・・・★

mattia polibio was a bitch. no one was gonna deny that. not even his favorite girl, destiny ortiz.

mattia and des have been friends since preschool. no one knows why, and no one knows how.

destiny was one of those girls that made you feel your heart actively getting filled up with love, and positivity the moment she utters a word to you. everyone loved her. she was the sweetest, most purest soul anyone has ever seen.

mattia, however, was one of those boys that you constantly steered away from. was he attractive? fuck yeah. he was fucking terrifying, though. he got good grades, but he was always getting in trouble.

you see where people might get confused?

even though their personalities clashed, no one could separate them. many jealous people tried to break them up, boys and girls alike. they never succeeded. you rarely see mattia without des.

and when they were still in school, mattia threatened countless people to get the same schedule as des. they took inseparable to the next level. obviously, des never knew the extreme measures he took to get them to actually be inseparable

because of mattia's extremely rude personality, everyone hated him. he seemed cocky, and entitled. if you asked des, she would tell you he knows what he wants, and that he's stubborn.

no one hates mattia more than chris stromboli, destiny's boyfriend. they've hated each other since the 3rd grade. their feud is known by everyone, but the reasoning remains unknown. not even destiny knows.

fast forward to today. it was des's, and chris's three year anniversary. they were new jerseys current it couple.

three years is a lot, especially for a jock like chris. he knew he had to do something meaningful, so he took her to the beach. it was her favorite place to be.

"sit right here, ma." chris pointing at the foldable chair that was digging into the sand. "i'll go grab the stuff from the car."

she looked at the wet chair that had mud climbing its legs, then looked at the ocean. "i'm going for a swim." she informed him.

"whatever you want." he shrugged.

she ran to the water and walked in with a huge smile on her face. she swam around for a bit, then saw chris carrying back set of items from
the car.

she walked back, and noticed the new sunbed.

"that wasn't there before." she pointed out.

"don't think you should sit on some dirty plastic chair." chris shrugged. she knew he would've never realized if she didn't make a disgusted face at the chair.

"thanks, chris." she smiled, laying down.

"anything for you, ma." he leaned and gave her a quick peck.

he pulled up another sunbed and put it next to hers, adjusting the umbrella that was previously there. he grabbed his freshly waxed surfboard and said, "you wanna come?"

"i'm good." she shook her head.

she laid there watching chris surf like a pro. she occasionally looked at the weird ass tiktoks mattia sent her. she didn't know how her life could get better.

her train of thoughts was interrupted by chris's phone vibrating so much, it was moving.

she looked at who was calling and texting him.

no caller id.

all in lowercase letters.

she felt her heart slowly climb up to her throat. a very uncomfortable lump was forming.

she took a deep breath.

yeah, most of the no caller id in no caps is a girl. but chris is different.

she looked back at him. he was a white boy, with dirty blonde hair that was once brown. he surfed, did terrible in school, english teachers are in love with him, and his name is chris. oh, and he has a european last name. great.

no caller id spam called him again. she didn't know how she suddenly gained the burst of confidence that lead her to answer.

"baby-" someone from the other line said.

"hello?"

no caller id hung up. weird.

she checked the messages.

no caller id

when r u gonna break up with her bby
i'm tired :(
i want my daddy back
daddy break up w her for me
pwease 🥺🥺

"EW!" she threw his phone away.

"what happened?" chris asked, his eyes nervously darting to his phone.

when she noticed how tense he was, she began realizing.

"no." she shook her head, quickly standing up.

"what happened, baby?" he tried to act clueless.

"don't fucking call me that." she put one hand on her stomach, and the other over her mouth. "shit,
i'm gonna be sick."

"what happened, des?" he took a step closer to her.

"fuck off!" she slapped the hand that was making its way to her face away.

"what the fuck is wrong with you?" he scrunched his nose in disgust.

"go fucking ask no caller id."

"no caller id? baby, what are you talking about? did you get sun pois.." he trailed off. "why the fuck did you look through my shit?" he said it in such a calm yet sharp tone, it actually terrified her.

"why the fuck did you give me a reason to?" she acted strong, and confident, when in reality she was exactly the opposite.

"don't fucking play with me right now." he walked up closer to her. his hand shot to her neck as soon as he was close enough.

she opened her mouth to yell at him, but found herself gasping for air.

she clawed at his hand, trying to free herself from his iron grip.

when he saw that her face was turning blue, he realized that he took it too far and let go of her.

"i'm sorry, baby." he sighed. "don't do it again, okay?" he attempted to pull her into a hug, but she was pushed him away.

"you fucking weirdo!" she yelled, pushing him away by his chest. "there won't be a next time. we're fucking through!" once she felt the boiling hot tears stream down her face, she began balling her eyes out.

she grabbed her phone and made her way out, ignoring chris's half assed attempts to call her back to him.

she didn't know how she would get over this, but she knew that she needed to call mattia right now, and he had to come pick her up right fucking now.

★・・・・・・★ ・・・・・・★

i live for the grump x sunshine trope