"May I Love You, May I Be Your Shield"

Start from the beginning

"What about John's old stuff? She's been wearing some of it anyway - they can share."

She swallowed, "She's a girl! She shouldn't have to wear her brother's clothes!"

Ricky rolled his eyes, stacking another $20 bill in the middle of the table, "I really doubt she cares what she wears, Amy, since it's just going to get dirty 20 minutes after we put it on her."

It was silent for a brief minute as he mentally counted the piles on the table as she walked slowly into the living room, peeking to see if their daughter was still asleep - which she was.

Paperclipping another set and setting it inside a box, "Look, we've got to slow down on the spending. Between the two of them, they're bleeding us dry." Making a few marks through the receipts with the pen in his hand, he sighed again, annoyed. "$21 on makeup?"

She spun on her heels, annoyed, "I was almost out, I had to restock."

"What for? We barely go anywhere besides school and daycare, what do you need to wear it for?"

"It'll last me about 3 months, calm down."

Biting the side of his lip with his teeth, he twisted the ring around his finger, "I am calm. Amy. We seriously need to go on a tight budget - no more just spending because we want to."

"Like getting coffee?" She questioned, tilting her head and clicking her tongue against her teeth, smugly

"I'm serious. Otherwise, we'll be broke in 2 weeks." He deadpanned, giving her the same smug look she was giving him.

Rolling her eyes, she took another bite from the yogurt carton before disappearing into the hallway.

"Did you forget we don't sleep in there?" Ricky asked a minute later when she reemerged and stood by the bookshelf.

"Yeah, well, I might be if I don't want to live by your stupid budget." Amy shot back, finishing off the snack and setting its empty contents on the shelf. Sighing, she pushed some hair away from her face and bent down to collect some scattered baby toys from the hardwood floor, "What if I just asked my dad for some cash? He'll be okay with helping us out for a couple of weeks."

Scooting the chair back, he got up and walked over to her, "No, we're not asking anyone for money. We can make it if we stop and really halt on spending a bunch. You'll see - it'll be our stupid budget, " smiling tiredly as he rubbed his hands up and down her arms as she pouted. "Do you want me to make you something? I can whip up some pasta or a salad really fast. "

She pursed her lips and shook her head, grabbing her purse from the bookshelf, confusing him, "Where are you going?"

Adjusting the strap against her shoulder, she grabbed the textbook littering the sofa cushion, "I'm going to Laurens to study. I've got that big test coming up on Monday -" She paused, lifting up the cushion before moving on to the nightstand, "do you know where my notebook is?"

He shook his head, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand, "No, I don't - why can't you just study here? I can study with you."

"I appreciate the offer," yanking the red notebook from under a pile of coloring books and plastic blocks on the floor, "but I want out of this house - I need out of this house!"