"Cause An Empty Room Can Be So Loud"

Day 3

"She doesn't really need you today, does she?" She questioned him, dumping out the bottle of breast milk their daughter refused to drink that morning and discarded a red bowl into the pile of dishes stacking up inside the sink.

He grabbed the other two bowls off of the table, sweeping away excess crumbs into his hand, "Amy, we went over this. It's Super Bowl weekend, and Bunny is slammed."

She took the bowls from him to add in, turning on the faucet to rinse them, "So have Nora, or Leo, come in and help out! Bunny is already giving you a paid week off - you just want away from us!"

"I do not want away from you," He comforted, running his hands up and down her robe-covered arms. "Amy, it's overtime - double overtime - and we really need the money."

She knew he was right but couldn't help herself from sighing against him, her voice small "Yeah well I need you, Ricky. You promised you'd be here to help me out." A loud dry cry broke them apart as the infant wailed for her mother's attention across the room.

He followed her into the living room, watching as she stood over their daughter before picking her up, "And I have been here - I am here - I just need to go downstairs and help Bunny for a few hours"

"Ben can help Bunny!" She countered, which made him chuckle."It's not funny!" Rolling his eyes, he walked over to the bookshelf, grabbing his wallet from the bowl by the door.

"Uh oh," John called out from his spot at the kitchen table; his Tonka truck colliding with a half full sippy cup of milk, sending it across the wood in a white puddle. Stuffing his wallet securely into his back pocket, Ricky let out a frustrated breath before walking to clean the mess up.

"So you're really just going to leave me with both of them all day?" Amy huffed, switching the fussy infant from her chest to her shoulder, patting her back gently as she watched him assist their son in swiping a handful of paper towels across the table. Hearing her phone let out a loud chime, she padded over to the bed, craning her neck and letting out an annoyed sigh upon seeing the name on the screen, "Ugh, it's my dad again."

Tossing the sopped paper towels into the garbage bin, he lifted John out of the chair, bringing him back over to the sofa bed. "Why don't you take the kids and go over to your dad's house? John could play in the yard, and you'd have an extra set of hands so you could relax for a while."

"Ricky, I don't want to drag everything out of this house, just to go to my dad's! Emma's still all over the place with her eating and sleeping, and she probably wouldn't be content since she doesn't know the place." Her rising voice caused the baby to whine against her neck, frustrating her further. "Are you sure you can't just call off?"

"You guys will be fine. I'm right downstairs if you need me, " He assured, pulling their comforter over their son, who was knuckles deep in a bag of goldfish crackers. He stood, walking over and wrapping his arms around her and their daughter. "We can't just hide out in this bubble forever, Amy."

She sighed against his chest, running her left hand over their daughter's head, "I know I just - forget it." She sniffled, hoping that Emma's loud whines wouldn't make him notice.

"You just what?" He sighed in a low whisper

She broke free from his arms, swiping at the stray tears gathering in her eyes, "Nothing, I'm fine. You go to work"

His eyes were sympathetic, watching his wife cradle their daughter against her, blinking back the tears he saw in her eyes before she pulled away from him. Nodding, he pecked her temple with his lips, "love you," and went out the door.