Vol-2 Ch-4 The Creep

Start from the beginning

"Ayanokouji-kun, I am really sorry. We asked anybody we could but we didn't find any witnesses. It's my fault for this. I take all the responsibility." He apologized with a bow.

"Calm down Hirata, there's no need to panic. I have found a way to save Sodou. You all can relax." hearing this most of the class took a breath of relief.

Class was over. Kikyou stood up right as homeroom ended and walked over towards Sakura, who was quietly preparing to leave. Kikyou pretended to be nervous.

"Sakura-san?"

"Sakura-san?"

"Wh-what?"

The bespectacled girl with the hunched back peered up with a timid expression. Apparently she hadn't expected someone to talk to her, and was flustered.

"I wanted to ask you something, Sakura-san. Do you have a moment? It's about Sudou's case."

"S-sorry. I...I have plans, so..."

Sakura was obviously uncomfortable. She averted her eyes. She wasn't good at talking with others. Or rather, she gave off the impression that she didn't like talking to them.

"Can you please make some time? This is important, so I'd like to talk to you. When Sudou-kun was involved in the incident, were you perhaps somewhere nearby?"

"I-I don't know. I already told Horikita-san. I really don't know anything..."

Her words were weak, yet she vehemently denied it. Kikyou could clearly see how unpleasant Sakura found this, so she probably didn't want to press her much more. Although Kikyou appeared slightly perplexed at first, her concerned expression quickly melted into a pleasant smile. Even so, she couldn't withdraw just like that, because Sakura might have tremendous influence over Sudou's fate.

"So...is it okay? If I go back..."

Sakura whispered. Something seemed strange, however. She wasn't simply bad at talking with people. It looked as though she was hiding something. You could see that from her behavior. Sakura concealed her dominant hand while also avoiding eye contact. Even if she weren't comfortable meeting someone's eyes, people generally looked in the direction of those to whom they were speaking. Sakura didn't look at Kikyou's face at all. If Ike or Yamauchi were talking to her, I could have understood that reaction.

Though it was mostly out of formal obligation, Sakura had exchanged numbers with Kikyou.

"Can't you please spare just a few minutes now?" Kikyou asked.

"Wh-why, though? I-I don't know anything..."

If Kikyou failed, we'd gain nothing from their conversation. Of course, the longer this awkwardness dragged on, the more attention they'd attract. This seemed like a complete miscalculation on Kikyou's part. Since they were already acquainted and had exchanged contact information, Kikyou probably had expected this conversation to go more smoothly, and had gone into this situation thinking she wasn't going to be rejected. That explained why this was currently falling apart.