"Don't come to my chambers this evening." You turn away from him with a hiss.

He grabs ahold of your wrist, stopping you in your tracks. "I'm not letting you out of my sight. You can hate me forever if you wish, but I will never stop protecting you."

You glare down at his hand clenched around your arm, and briefly consider slapping him in the face. "Let go of me."

He does immediately, and you turn back away from him, composing yourself as much as possible to tell Aster and Bragi goodnight. You refuse to put any sort of damper on this evening for them.

They've just finished another dance when they spot you walking in their direction.

"Gersemi! Come dance with us again!" Aster beams.

"I'm afraid having to carry one dance partner around all evening has completely worn me out." You rest a loving hand on your stomach with a giggle. "However, I hope you two party all night. You deserve it."

"We very well might." Bragi wraps a loving arm around Aster's waist.

"Thank you, and Loki too, for everything that you did to make it perfect." Tears glisten in the king's eyes.

"You deserve all of the credit for that." You smile. "Thank you for letting us be a part of something so special."

The boys wrap you in tight hugs and kiss your cheeks, filling your heart and warming your face before you tell them a final good night and head toward your room.

You swear you can see the heat haze of Loki's rage dancing over his shoulders as you tear past him in silence.

—------------------------------------------------------

You perform your entire nightly routine trying your best to ignore Loki, who has perched himself in the far corner of your room like a brooding raven.

When you're washed up and changed, you collapse into bed, yank the covers up to your chin and roll onto your side, purposely not facing him. "I want to see my sister before we go. You should meet the baby."

Without hesitation, he speaks. "Alright." He doesn't move from the dark corner of the room.

"And we have to tell Aster and Bragi. I refuse to disappear without warning."

"Yes." Once again, a strange, unreadable tone.

As you're gearing up your next demand, Loki settles on the floor beside your side of the bed, propping his head on a rolled-up blanket. He's still wearing his formal leathers from the evening.

"I'm sure you'd be much more comfortable on the sofa in the bower."

He's silent for several beats this time. "It's too far away. I- I need to hear you breathing."

Your throat burns at his words.

"Right then." You roll to your other side, unable to look at the twisted, distraught expression on his face. "Best get some sleep."

He doesn't respond.

—-----------------------------------------------------

You awaken with a start, every muscle in your body protesting the sudden movement.

"Gods-" You groan.

"Are you alright?" Loki is at the foot of the bed in an instant, the purplish shadows under his eyes indicating he got very little, if any sleep.

"Fine. Just sore from dancing." You sit up in bed, tucking your hair behind your ear as it falls forward into your face.

A small, vibrant vernonia topples on to the sheets, knocked free from behind your ear. You pluck it up, spinning it in your fingers when you look at Loki once again.