Tensions rise

The night went by with no issue. I sat near the window, gazing out. For some reason, I felt restless. I wasn't tired.

The moonlight shone in through the window, adding a gentle, comforting vibe in the room. I leaned against the wall and tried counting the stars.

It's amazing how many stars are out in the sky. Forever to be there in the sky. Free and alive. Admired by people for generations.

How can something so simple be loved by so many for so long?

Simple. Because they were pretty. They were nice to look at. Each having their own story. Their own background. Their own future. Much like people.

Except most people weren't admired by people for years to come. Only if they felt you were good enough I guess.

I got up and glanced at Mira and Afia, who were sleeping perfectly content. I smiled softly and made sure Mira was covered. I took a long look at Afia and shoved my hands in my pockets, turning away.

I walked out into the cold air. The breeze running through my curly locks. I exhaled from my mouth, watching my breath turn into vapour that disappeared into the night.

The night was peaceful, besides the few Zarcs that howled at the bright moon in the sky. They couldn't get into the village, which brought me much needed comfort.

The dry leaves crunched under my feet as I walked around, my eyes gazing at all of the cabins. The lake glistened under the moonlight. It looked like a scene out of a movie.

I took my spot under a tree, sitting down on the cool grass and leaning back on the stump, closing my eyes as I enjoyed the cool air.

It made me think, how long will this last? How long will it take for the rest of humanity to get killed off? It's not like we have a lot of food and shelter. And with reproduction being a thing, I expect this camp to become overpopulated within the next few years.

So what was the end game? I doubt we could take on all those things at once, not with the little experience we all have.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a twig snapping. My eyes snapped open and scanned the area for someone. Anyone.

My first thought was a monster got in. I felt my body tense up as my breathing deepened slightly. Maybe I was just overreacting. But maybe not. Nothing was impossible anymore.

I felt myself hurry to my feet, my eyes continuing to look around. I saw someone enter the cafeteria and immediately felt relieved.

But that relief was short lived as I began to wonder who was up this late? Besides me of course. I took a deep breath and grabbed a nearby stick, walking over towards the cafeteria.

I glanced through the window and saw a male, taller than me no doubt, rummaging through our food. I furrowed my eyebrows, watching him. Slowly, I made my way inside the building. Clearing my throat.

The man stopped abruptly, his back faced towards me. I looked at him with a look of interest and crossed my arms.

"If you're hungry, you can always wait for tomorrow- breakfast is served at around 8.." I spoke up. The man didn't move. I took a step forward, scanning him quietly.

He wore a jumper with some wool pants and dirty trainers. He looked an absolute mess. I gave the man a soft smile.

"Hey- come on, let's get you in a cabin yeah?" I whispered. I heard the man sigh as he slowly turned to face me. And my heart dropped.

He gave me an awkward smile and ran a hand through his white curls.

"Hey, Desmond-" He said sheepishly. I could only stare in shock. I felt anger flood my emotions as my hands bawl into fists.