3

The days were long and boring on Arrakis.

Even Paul was struggling. He and Nera had spent over an hour studying the Fremen, how they survived in the desert, and how they avoided the sand worms.

"Sand verbena, burrow bush, if that's all that grows out there then what the hell do they eat?" Paul asked shaking his head.

"Damned if I know," Nera shrugged with little interest, thankfully their food and fresh water was still being imported from Caladan. How she missed the trees and grass of Caladan. Arrakis was miserably barren.

She sniffed, pushing her hair behind her ear. The room was clammy and oppressively hot, her hair clung to her skin.

"Paul, do you smell something burning?" She asked, noticing the distinct smell of burning wood.

It was odd, no one would dare burn wood on Arrakis, the recourse was much too rare and it was too hot to ever light a fire.

"No? You're just imagining it." Paul replied with easy confidence, flicking to the next image.

"No, I swear I'm not." Nera got up from his bed and walked around, her nose leading her to the intricate wooden panel. There was a small hole burned thorough the wood.

"Nera." Paul stood stock still in the middle of the room.

"Get over here. Right now."

She stepped back, unsure what was causing him so much concern, but obeyed him. In one concise step, Paul pulled her by the arm into the lights of the holo projector with her back to his chest. Then she saw it. A glint of metal in the air.

A hunter-seeker.

The miniature device floated through the air. So far, the holo projector's lights had prevented it from transmitting a clear video signal back to which ever assassin was operating it. Nera felt the blood in her veins turn cold as ice as it came closer and closer. If it detected them, she knew very well they were guaranteed to be killed. It's tiny needle was tipped with a quick acting lethal poison. 

It floated closer, searching. Nera could feel Paul was barely breathing behind her.

Suddenly the door to Paul's room opened.

"My lady there you a-

Elseen was cut short as Paul lunged to crush the hunter-seeker in his fist just before it was about to target her.

Nera dashed over to her maid and hugged her, "Are you alright?"

Elseen was trembling, "I should be asking you that question, what on earth was that!"

"Hunter-seeker. Fetch my father Elseen, the operator must be nearby."

Thufir Hawat and Duke Leto summoned every available guard to search the entire fortress from top to bottom until they eventually found the body of a Harkonnen spy that had been bricked up behind the wall. The sight and the stench was horrifying.

"He's been inside there for six weeks. He ran the Hunter-Seeker through a water pipe." Thufir's voice was shaky and his forehead was dripping sweat as he faced the Duke and Lady Jessica. "Sure, I failed you. There is no excuse. I put you and your household in danger. You have my resignation."

"You would deprive us of you talents at this time?"

"Sire my honor demands-

"They tried to take the life of my son and my ward! I don't give a damn about your honor. If you want absolution, go catch some spies." Duke Leto was incensed, angrier that Nera had ever seen him before. Thufir backed away quickly. She found herself scanning every wall now, wondering if there was another Harkonnin assassin waiting to strike from the shadows.