matt winced at her harsh words, not really expecting her to be so honest with him. he guessed he deserved to hear it, but that didn't mean he wanted to. truthfully, he didn't know what he wanted to hear - he just knew he wanted to be near her.

''right.'' he muttered.

''don't like to hear the truth?''

''it's not like that, flo.''

''whatever.'' she replied. ''did you bring the weed?''

''obviously.'' he said. ''but you're not having any if you don't start being nicer to me.''

''you don't deserve me being nice to you.''

''true, but i'm the one with the weed, so shut up.''

florence rolled her eyes. ''i hope you know you're the only person i would let talk to me like that and not be mad at.''

''i do.'' matt replied, holding out a blunt he had already rolled. ''i rolled for you.''

''i get my own one?'' she asked in surprise.

''yeah...but you don't have to smoke all of it. you just smoke whatever you want.''

''okay.'' 

she put the blunt in between her lips, and matt flicked his lighter on. she lent forward, looking into his eyes as he brought the lighter to her lips. he was concentrating on lighting the blunt but, as soon as it was, he looked at florence's face.

the two of them were just looking at each other for a moment, the tension practically suffocating them both. matt had the urge to move forward and kiss her, but she still had the blunt in her mouth and he suddenly wished he hadn't given it to her yet.

florence looked away first, inhaling before holding it between her two fingers, exhaling into the dark. matt copied her, and the two sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes as they smoked.

''i'm sorry i broke up with you.'' matt finally said in a small voice.

she looked at him. ''so am i.''

''i didn't mean to hurt you.''

''did you really think i wouldn't be hurt, matt?''

''i don't know what i thought.'' he said truthfully. ''but i definitely didn't think this.''

she nodded thoughtfully as she exhaled the smoke. ''i'm getting married, matt.''

''i know. gabi told me.''

''i asked her not too.''

''shit.'' he muttered. ''sorry.''

''not your fault.'' she answered before hesitating. ''well, it is your fault that i'm getting married but it's not your fault gab told you.''

matt took a deep drag on his blunt. ''how are you feeling about it?''

''i'm smoking weed in a field with my ex-boyfriend.'' she said, looking at him. ''how do you think i feel?''

he winced. ''don't call me that.''

''why not?''

''you know why.'' he said softly.

she shook her head, holding the blunt in between her fingers angrily. ''no, matt! don't do that to me!''

''do what?'' 

''you're just messing me around.'' she said painfully. ''just...stop messing with me.''

''i'm not messing with you, flo.''