Chapter 4

Chapter 4 - Festival of Fireworks II

As the referee raised the White Hare’s hand, a mix of applause, cheers and uproars were heard.
Jacques slammed his hand on the edge of the seat, “That’s cheating! That person attacked before the referee signalled it!”
Sayuri and Kurenai shook their head. The leader of Yamagawa handed a scroll to the queen.
“This is a water-proof scroll. I want to see that again.”
The queen covered her left eye with her hand. Opening the scroll, Sayuri formed a ball of water with the other hand.
“Vision enchantment!”
Sayuri nuzzled the water ball to the scroll. Moments after, that short fight scene showed in her perspective.
Before the match started and everyone was laughing at White Hare, nobody noticed her tapping the ground with the toy sword. The weapon changed color, showing that it was enchanted by earth magic.
“Okay, that’s earth enchant.” Jacques remarked.
“I’m not done yet.” Sayuri said while maintaining her observation of the scroll.
They noticed that after the referee’s signal, she left an afterimage once she struck the crown prince.
“Fast. Did she go to Yamagawa for ninjutsu training?” Kurenai asked.
“I don’t know...” the queen replied. She tried to look close to White Hare’s feet in that match. Since the cloak covered it, she can’t confirm if it’s just lightning enchanted footwork, a ninjutsu or just pure speed.
They also looked at the details of the attack. It was a precise thrust, aimed at the crown prince’s torso.
“This White Hare gives me creeps.” Kurenai commented.
“Same. Are you really sure that you know nothing about this person?” Jacques asked.
Sayuri shook her head.
“What a waste if she doesn’t use her talent. Whether she wins or lose, I’ll definitely be offering her to be part of my elite army.” Jacques said, while looking at Kurenai with a smug smile.
Kurenai scowled as she replied, “She’s coming with us.”
“Shut it you two. The next match has started.” The queen spoke.

The next matches for the first round finished before the sun started to set. As expected, Kei Yamagawa won against her fellow Yamagawa competitor. Since she and Rei were the finalists last year, they were given time to rest as they advance directly to the semifinals. The other princes of Nova Aeris advanced the next round as well as the other top student of Yamagawa.
For the next round, Hikari, also known as the White Hare, will face the second prince of Nova Aeris. Both competitors headed to the arena.
“It’s the famous White Hare of Matsusato. You have created a fuss now after that match. My name is Sebastian.” The second prince greeted and offered his hand.
Hikari shook his hand. “Nice meeting you.” She said in a bitter voice.
“Honestly, it’s a good thing you taught our brother a lesson. I really am dying to see him lose…” Sebastian said, followed by a chuckle.
He really hates his brother’s guts, huh? Hikari thought.
“Anyway, let’s have a fun match. I’m looking forward to cross swords with you.” He added while pointing his sword at her.
Hikari lowered her stance. One hand raised forward, the other gripped the sword in a reverse position. After a few seconds, Sebastian ran towards her to strike. His hands gripping the sword as tight as he could, he swung his weapon.
“!!!” The second prince was wide-eyed when he noticed he hit nothing. As he looked around for his opponent, Hikari appeared from above. With his quick reflexes, he tried to slash upward, but it was a fake image.
“Checkmate…” the White Hare said as she pointed her sword’s tip a few inches from his neck. The prince closed his eyes and let go of his weapon. However, as his sword hit the ground, he held Hikari’s weapon with one hand and punched her. Hikari struggled for her weapon but resorted to release it and leap backwards to avoid getting hit.
“You think I’m afraid of that toy.” Sebastian said as he threw her weapon behind and picked his own, “Now we shall see how you can fare without your weapon.”
Hikari breathed deeply as she raised her closed fists. The second prince positioned himself into an attacking stance. As he swung his sword to his weaponless opponent, he found himself surrounded with five images of the White Hare about to hit him with a roundhouse kick in all directions. Blood and teeth flew from Sebastian after being hit five times in the face. Despite getting dizzy, he stood using his sword to balance himself.
“!!!” the leaders gasped upon seeing the action. Jacques clenched his fists as in panic. The remaining combatants in the players’ hall were silent with their mouth open in awe and disbelief.
“Y-you bastard!” Sebastian cried. Still dizzy after that attack, he struggled to stand straight. He tried to swing his sword, but Hikari pushed him and kicked his groin hard. He was in the air a few feet before collapsing like a sack full of potatoes.
The arena fell silent for a minute while checking to see if the second prince can still stand. He laid motionless for a long time, prompting the referee to announce the winner.
“White Hare wins!”
As the crowd celebrated her win, Hikari picked her sword and went back to the players’ hall without a word.

“That was some cheap shot. So dishonorable…” Jacques said while stomping the ground.
Kurenai let out a chuckle before replying, “There’s no such thing as honor in the heat of the battle.”
“I agree. Your second son also fought the same. He could have surrendered but disarmed White Hare the moment. Guess that is what they call it, ‘you reap what you sow’.” Sayuri said as she pour drinks to their cups.
The leader of Nova Aeris buried his face to his palm.
“Look, it’s not over. Your youngest son still on the fight.” Kurenai said as she pat Jacques’ shoulder.
Jacques looked at her with teary eyes.
“Did I miss anything?” Eichiro asked as he entered the room.
“King Eichiro, you’re late. You are missing too much action here.” Kurenai greeted as she bowed in front.
“We welcome you. Join us.” Jacques said as he bowed and passed a drink to him.
Eichiro replied with a bow and smile.
“My dear king. There’s this newcomer representing us. Did you happen to hear about the so-called White Hare of Matsusato?” Sayuri asked.
“White Hare? What a silly name…” the king consort replied. He tried to look over the arena and found the aforementioned figure, “Is that the guy?” He pointed.
The three leaders nodded. Kurenai gave the water-proof scroll with the vision enchant from the first fight.
“!!!” Eichiro was wide-eyed when he saw the fight recorded in the scroll.
Could it be… her?
“What now, my king?” Sayuri asked as she noticed Eichiro’s face getting sweaty.
“I believe I’ve seen this kind before.” He replied.
“Really?! When and where?” the other leaders asked at the same time.
“I can’t remember. But I know I have seen this before.” The king consort answered while scratching his head.
There is only one person who can do it here.
“Wait, can I see that second match?” Jacques inquired.
Sayuri nodded as Kurenai gave her another scroll. She repeated her vision enchant spell and moments later, they examined the fight.
Eichiro noticed the first movement of the White Hare. Her stance with her sword was the same as he has seen in Hikari the night before. Sayuri and Kurenai found out that she used a mix of lightning and earth enchant on her feet to increase her speed and strengthen her kick. Jacques almost dropped his glass when he saw the actual movement caused the afterimages to look as if the second prince was hit simultaneously.
The king consort faced the queen and held her shoulders.
“Milady, who is her next opponent?” he asked.
Sayuri glanced aside. “It’s going to be our daughter, Rei.”
Eichiro’s face became serious, “If my hunch is right, we need to be ready.”
The three leaders looked at each other. That moment the match between the third prince of Nova Aeris and Yamagawa top 2 has ended with the former as the winner.

“That ended quicker than I expected.” Rei remarked as she stood up from her seat. Hikari was just behind her finishing her drink before heading for the arena.
“Good luck, princess Rei.” Kei greeted as she bumped fists with the elder twin princess. The latter smiled as she headed out.
Cheers filled the arena when the audience saw Rei. The elder twin princess waived to the crowd and faced her opponent.
“I am getting irritated by that mask you are wearing.”
Hikari smiled behind the mask, “Come and get it if you wish. But I will not take my mask off.”
“You are too smug to be a warrior of this kingdom…” Rei replied as she peeled her bandages from her wrists, “I’ll crush that mask together with that pride of yours.”
Hikari raised her hand to eye level as the referee signaled to start the match. Rei’s bandages floated as if retracting itself. As Rei pointed her finger to her opponent, the bandages darted at great speed but were shredded instantly by the razor wind aimed at her. The wind dissipated in front of the elder twin princess as the torn bandages formed a wall and blocked it.
Hikari raised her hand above her head. Rei, thinking that her opponent let her guard down, fired another stream of bandages towards her.
“!!!” Rei was wide-eyed when she saw the bandages ripped by the tornado generated by the White Hare. She saw her adversary grabbing her sword and swung it. The wind, as if directed by that action, approached the elder twin princess. With little time to react, Rei got caught and was sent flying and spinning briefly before slamming to the ground.
The king consort shook his head. He looked at the queen who slapped her face at the sight that her champion getting nowhere in her fight.
Rei stood up, staring at her opponent sharply as she peeled a strip of bandage on her wrist. As the bandage hit the ground, it formed into a sword.
“I don’t like this. But I just have to end this fast!” she exclaimed as she attacked using a barrage of stab attacks. Hikari gracefully dodged, as if reading her movements. With the last attempt to stab her opponent, Rei stumbled and knelt right in front of her opponent.
“…” Hikari stared at her sister with cold eyes behind the mask. With no desire to hurt her, she kicked dust to Rei’s face. Rei tried to grab her sword for an attack, but her opponent stomped it, preventing her from lifting it. She struggled until she transformed it back into bandages that entangled Hikari’s arms to her sides and wrapped her upper torso.
“You must be crazy enough not to attack me when you have the chance.” Rei teased as she stood up.
“I think you’re sorely mistaken to think if you have me on the ropes with these,” Hikari replied. Suddenly, the bandages continued to restrict her, as if choking her. Rei chuckled as she tried to reach for the White Hare’s mask. The wrappings crumpled and shredded, allowing Hikari to grab Rei’s arm and threw her behind.
“H-how could you?!” Rei asked as she tried to stand up, “These bandages are unbreakable!”
“Unbreakable? With physical force, yeah I agree.” Hikari replied while picking up a piece of the torn bandages, “but in the end, these are all made of soft papers… which are vulnerable to water.” She added as she smacked the paper to Rei’s forehead.
Rei leaped back. She let loose of another bunch of bandages and made then into large needles from her hand. She frantically threw the needles to her opponent but Hikari effortlessly dodged and blocked those.
“I’m really getting pissed off now!” she shouted. With only one needle left, Rei ran and aimed to stab her in the neck. As if she expected the attack, Hikari raised her sword and struck Rei on the elbow.
“You are too reliant on your living weapon,” Hikari spoke as she lowered her stance. “Are you done?”
Rei, upon hearing her voice, leaped back. Her bandages formed into wings and allowed her to float. Her hand firm and pointing in her opponent’s direction.
“There’s one more thing that I hate in you now!” she cried, “You sound like my sister, WHO I HATED THE MOST!”
The paper wings scattered their parts, turning them into small darts. After three seconds, the darts rained Hikari’s position continuously, causing dust to block everybody’s sight in the arena.
“I don’t think there’s even a remnant of that stupid costume of yours once the dust settles. Poor you...” Rei remarked, “!!!” Her smile disappeared instantly as she saw a tornado flying in her direction. As she attempted to block, the White Hare appeared right in front of her and struck. The wings tried to cover her head and blocked the attack but Hikari’s sheer strength alone sent her plummeting.
Rei closed her eyes. She knew it will severely injure her once she hits the ground. Split seconds later, she saw herself being cradled by none other than her opponent. She stared at her for a short period and saw the image of her sister smiling at her.
“You! You don’t dare pity me!” she screamed as her bandages on her wrist turned into a sword and stabbed her opponent in the heart. The leaders, the audience, and Kei were wide-eyed at the sight. However, the figure exploded into water, dropping her to the ground and effectively splashing her.
As Rei recovered her senses, she saw the White Hare standing right beside her with her sword covered with lightning sparks.
“Surrender. You won’t be able to do anything anyway.” Hikari said.
Rei flipped the bird as she replied, “Never! I would rather die than being humiliated!”
“So be it.” Hikari answered in a somber tone. She moved her sword and placed the tip on her sister’s belly, electrocuting her for two seconds and knocking her out of consciousness.
The queen closed her eyes and sighed upon seeing her champion being defeated. The king consort held her hand as the referee announced the winner of the duel. They noticed that the White Hare was staring at them from a distance.
“That White Hare...” the queen muttered, “She’s a real deal, isn’t it?”
Eichiro nodded as he faced Sayuri.
“What a waste. Even the princess of Matsumoto was not a match for her.” Jacques said as he emptied a glass of drink.
“It’s okay.” Eichiro said, “We still have one more representative to fight.”
Kurenai chuckled. “That White Hare may win this tournament. It’s so exciting to see her toe-to-toe with Kei.”
“Hey, my son is still in the fight.” Jacques replied.
The leaders laugh as the referee announced the next match.

“It’s been a long time, master.” The third prince, Claude, greeted his opponent.
Kei replied, “You’re no longer my student, Claude. You’re now a league on your own.”
“One’s master will be always his master, no matter how far he goes...” the third prince said while warming his fists and legs up.
As they bowed to each other and the audience, the referee signaled to start the fight.
“Jacques, you really have a prodigy among your sons.” Kurenai commented as the fight started.
The leader of Nova Aeris twirled his mustache, “This kid is so headstrong that I have to let him go as he pleases instead of staying in one place. He wants to establish his own identity, he says. I thank you for accepting him as a student.”
Kurenai replied with a chuckle, “Kei is as stubborn as him. I guess, our school needs two of the same personalities.”
Claude began his attack by using his fire enchanted fist. Kei responded by using her wind-enchanted kicks, creating a small flaming maelstrom in the arena.
“Nice. Nice! It’s getting more exciting!” Claude exclaimed as he jumped back and forth.
Kei smiled but turned serious as she brought out her giant mace one-handed.
“I’m sorry, Claude. I have to take you down quickly.”
The third prince smirked as he prepared his weapon, “Guess that White Hare got your nerve upon defeating your friend, huh.”
“Indeed.” Kei answered as she went out of her opponent’s sight and reappeared right in front of him. She smashed her weapon from the back but Claude dodged to the side and retaliated by throwing kunai. The ninja blocked it with the giant mace.
“That giant mace is amazing! Is it a living weapon?!” Claude asked.
Kei sighed, “You are really a talkative one, aren’t you? Fine by me…” she said as she lifted her mace, “This is Kaiser Hammer. This mace is the heaviest among those maces and hammers created but allows itself to be wielded.”
“Sure all living weapons are like that.” Claude said, “What I mean is what does it do?”
“If I tell you that, I have to kill you.” Kei replied as she positioned her mace in the front. With little effort, she swung her weapon and successfully hit her opponent. She scowled upon realizing Claude substituted himself with a log split seconds after she hit him. Appearing from the ground, the third prince grabbed the ninja’s ankle, lifted her and threw her in a distance. Kei landed on her feet successfully but didn’t notice the kunai with the paper tag just right beside her. Moments later, an explosion happened, almost deafening the audience, and the arena was covered in smoke.
“What the hell was that? Are you trying to kill us?!” the audience shouted at them.
“That was too dangerous!”
Kei swung the mace again, clearing the smoke. The explosion appeared to have not even stained her shirt or her face. Claude, unfazed by what he had witnessed, dashed towards the ninja with his fist glowing red. As he punched the air, flames erupted from the ground and nearly caught Kei. 
“I don’t think you’re going to hit me.” The ninja said. With her free hand, she caught his arm and tried to drag him to the ground. The third prince, as if dancing, spun in the air and landed on his feet. He tried to pull her closer, but Kei stood by her ground. In order to break free from her grip, Claude summoned a ball of fire and made it exploded, injuring both of them.

“He’s quite talented...” Eichiro commented while taking a drink, “Your son must have trained a lot.”
Jacques twirled his mustache as he replied, “Though his brothers made it hard for him, he didn’t give up. He gets what he wants without relying on his title as a prince. He even trained to other lands just to make himself better.”
Sayuri faced Jacques, “Of course, there’s still be a big difference between a boy who trained himself to be a weapon and a girl who not just mastered the art of ninjutsu, not to mention a living weapon user.”
“Kei has trained extensively after receiving that Kaiser Hammer.” Kurenai added, “Not only she had ninjutsu in her arsenal now, but that living weapon has made her into a perfect warrior.”
The Nova Aeris leader’s hand trembled, “Y-you mean, my son has still long ways to go?”
“Indeed...” Kurenai answered as she frowned and stared back on the fight.

“Let me tell you something. You’re not the only ones with a living weapon, you know.” Claude said as he wore bracelets on both his hands.
Kei stared at him as his skin changed color to pale white. His eye colors inverted and his hair turned lengthened until it reaches his butt. The bracelets noticeably dripped crystal clear water. She placed her mace in front to defend herself, but the third prince has other ideas. He engulfed himself in a bubble. With a flick of his finger, the bubble exploded, with him disappearing. He appeared behind Kei, grabbing her arm and preventing her to swing her mace. Another image of him held her neck and delivered a punch that sent her across the arena... only to find out she used a dummy in place. The mace disappeared, leaving everybody baffled.
“Looks like you have forgotten that we trained together, Claude. I know your tricks.” The ninja commented while appearing a few feet above of Claude. Twirling her mace like a fan above her head, she stayed in the air for a long time.
“...” The third prince smirked. Multiple copies of him emerged from behind. They leaped towards Kei’s position while still in the air. The ninja calmly thrust her mace to the front, and it emitted an explosion in which wiped out the horde of copies coming to her. Claude was caught wide-eyed when Kei dived to his position with a spinning kick. With little time to react, he ended up getting hit in the jaw and almost knocking him out.
Kei swung the Kaiser Hammer one more time. Though it was out of range to hit the opponent, it generated enough force to push Claude back to the wall. The third prince generated a bubble around him to protect himself from the incoming attack. The Kaiser Hammer detached spikes like nails and guided by the wind generated through another swing, darted towards their target. The sheer number of spikes caused the barrier to break and Claude severely hurt.
Though he stood still, Claude struggled to stay awake. His bracelets ceased to lit and his complexion returned to normal with blood in it.
“Surrender now. You’re in no shape to continue!” Kei exclaimed.
Claude nodded and raised his hand, “I-I surrender..”
“Winner: Kei!”
Claude tried to reach to the winner of the match. However, Kei appeared to his side. She gave him a hug as he collapsed.
“I’m sorry.”
Claude smiled, “You’re still the master.” he said as he glanced at the White Hare, who was waiting in the players’ hall, “Bring her hell, master.”
“I will...” Kei answered as she carried the injured third prince to the players’ hall. As she passed by the White Hare, she took a quick stare.
“You’re next!”