Character Flaws 55- 65 out of 100 Character Flaws

Start from the beginning

5

5. 59. Obsession with Appearance
Obsession with Appearance is overemphasis on physical appearance, often at the expense of substance or character.
Why this is interesting: This obsession can explore societal pressures, vanity, identity, and the contrast between appearance and reality.
Example: Cersei Lannister in "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R.
Martin. Her focus on her appearance and beauty plays a significant role in her character development.
Key questions: Why is she obsessed with appearance? How does her obsession affect her decisions and relationships? How does her obsession drive the plot or themes?

6. 60. Martyr Complex
Martyr Complex is the desire to suffer to gain sympathy or admiration.
Why this is interesting: A martyr complex can create conflict, reflect underlying needs, and challenge relationships.
Example: Sonia Marmeladov in "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Her martyrdom reflects her self-sacrifice and moral themes.
Key questions: Why does she play the martyr? How does her martyr complex affect her life and relationships? How does her martyrdom drive the plot?

7. 61. Addiction
Addiction is a compulsive, chronic, physiological or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, behaviour, or activity.
Why this is interesting: Addiction can create tension, challenge relationships, or symbolize deeper issues and societal critiques.
Example: Tyrone Slothrop in "Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pynchon.
His addiction adds complexity and reflects broader themes of control and desire.
Key questions: What causes his addiction? How does it manifest? What are the consequences of his addictive behaviour?

8. 62. Clinginess
Clinginess is an overly possessive or emotionally dependent on others.
Author Lumna10's ps: for me Clinginess is rarely emotional and I have never seen anyone add emotion to the act of being clingy. It just doesn't happen that way majority of the time.
Why this is interesting: Clinginess can create relationship conflicts, reflect insecurities, or be a catalyst for growth or tragedy.
Example: George Milton in "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck. His clinginess towards Lennie is central to their relationship and the story's
themes.
Key questions: What causes his clinginess? How does it manifest? What are the consequences of his clinginess?

9. 63. Fanaticism
Fanaticism is an excessive, irrational zeal or enthusiasm for a cause or belief.
Why this is interesting: Fanaticism can drive the plot, create conflict, and explore the dark sides of belief and obsession.
Example: Reverend Parris in "The Crucible" by Arthur Miller. His fanaticism fuels the witch trials and symbolizes societal hysteria.
Key questions: Why is she a fanatic? How does her fanaticism affect her choices and relationships? How does her fanaticism drive the plot?

10. 64. Inferiority Complex
Inferiority Complex is an unrealistic feeling of general inadequacy caused by actual or supposed inferiority in some aspect.
Why this is interesting: This flaw can create relatable characters, drive internal conflict, and lead to growth or tragedy.
Example: Charlie in "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes. His inferiority complex affects his decisions and personal growth.
Key questions: Why does she feel inferior? How does it affect her decisions and relationships? How does her inferiority complex drive the story?

11. 65. Condescension
Condescension is an attitude of patronizing superiority.
Why this is interesting: Condescension can create conflicts, reveal power dynamics, or be used to critique societal norms.
Example: Lady Catherine de Bourgh in "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. Her condescension embodies class distinctions and affects character interactions.
Key questions: Why is she condescending? How does it affect her relationships and choices? What are the consequences of her condescension?