Mirror

I step to the sink. Water, soap, rinse, stare. My sharp green eyes find the furrowed brow, which I scrunch and soften.

"Who are you," I accidentally say out loud.

"Zinnia!" Rina shouts, "that's a silly question."

She approaches me in the bathroom, and I turn to face her, giving a wave. Her sharp black hair which falls to her shoulders is clipped with barrettes to keep it from her face, which she often finds bothersome. She looks to the mirror to fix her bangs, brushing a hand against the top, as if it were someone else's hand.

"How did you know I would be here?"

"Please. This entire week you've been late to lunch, and it's about damn time I found your new hiding place. We're losers together, remember?" she says, all while readjusting her hair and making faces to herself.

"I know I know, I'm sorry I've been late," I say, through a yawn, "I've just been exhausted this week. Decompression bathroom breaks have become a necessity."

I can't tell her the truth. Well, the whole truth.

"You will not believe who I passed coming in here," she said, my heart fluttered. Symphony.

"Symphony," she whisper yelled.

I rolled my eyes, "gross." I looked into the mirror, at the face of a liar, a dark secret keeper. This is so wrong. I can't be this horrible.

She can't know I'm mentally in love with our mortal enemy: her ex best friend.