Outsiders

Leaving school, the air is windier than I'd hoped, especially for my 10 minute walk home. I bundle up in my thin jacket: useless.

I think about what could have happened. Did she argue with her boyfriend? Did he hurt her? Maybe he hurt her. She deserves better. She..

"Today sucked," Rina declares from beside me, "Symphony totally glared at me. Like if she has something to say to me she might as well say it."

"Maybe she's just having a bad day," I reply, still caught up in mind Symphony.

She stops walking.

"You're supposed to be on my side right now, Ni," she cries.

"You're right, I'm sorry. Why can't she just tell you how she feels, because this torture is unfair to you," I say, remembering how we came to be so close in the first place.

•••

Many years ago, I'd lost my best friend. My everything. Devon left our happy life together for the people we'd despised the most. The opportunity for the outsider to become inside was offered to her and only her, and she took it. Leaving me behind. Alone.

I was angry. I'm still angry. But Rina lost her best friend too. A loss that brings us so close together. But the damage still runs deep. All we can do is learn and grow. And move on.

And move on.

And move on.

And MOVE ON.