Asleep

I'd fallen asleep in class again. My hand seeping with slimy saliva. I shake my head awake as the teacher, Mrs. Lorne, and her large spectacles slowly unblurred.

"..write an essay about something that makes you interesting..."

I look back to my notes, a blank page actually, and bury my face in my hands, the pressure relieving the ache and itch of my eyes. I take a sip of water and feel the cold expand in my belly, and exhale as the bell rings.

"Miss Vincent, a moment please," comes from Mrs. Lorne's scratchy throat.

"Yes?" I ask, collecting my things quickly, though still a bit dazed.

"Is everything alright? How did you sleep last night?" she asks. I know she means well, but my body winces at the questions.

"Yes, well, no, but it's nothing to be concerned about. I will get a good night's rest tonight."

"Honey, you said that yesterday."

"I know, but tonight I will."

There's a pause for a moment, though I can tell her mind is still in conversation. She twists her loose brown curl at the front of her face with one finger.

"Here's a copy of our notes from today's class. I know you're in high school and life can get ahead of you, but you're a very bright student," she pauses again, but I'm only more antsy than before.

"Thank you, it means a lot," I say, turning to get to lunch. As I make it to the door, she calls out one last time, "If you ever want to talk.. I'm here."

And I walk through the door.