Character Flaws 44-54 out of 100 Character Flaws

Start from the beginning

5. 48. Disloyalty
Disloyalty is the Lack of loyalty or fidelity; unfaithfulness.
Why this is interesting: Disloyalty can create betrayals, twists, and moral dilemmas, adding complexity to character relationships and plot.
Example: Brutus in "Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare. His disloyalty is central to the tragedy and offers insight into political themes.
Key questions: Why is she disloyal? How does her disloyalty manifest?
What are the consequences of her disloyalty for the characters and plot?

Key questions: Why is she disloyal? How does her disloyalty manifest?What are the consequences of her disloyalty for the characters and plot?

6. 49. Passivity
Passivity is the acceptance or submission without resistance or objection.
Why this is interesting: Passivity can create tension, frustration, or reflect societal themes and character's internal struggles.
Example: Lily Bart in "The House of Mirth" by Edith Wharton. Her passivity leads to her downfall and reflects social constraints.
Key questions: Why is she passive? How does her passivity affect her life and relationships? How does her passivity drive the plot or themes?

7. 50. Superstition
Superstition is the irrational belief in supernatural influence, especially leading to luck or fate.
Why this is interesting: Superstition can add cultural texture, create conflict, or symbolize broader themes within the story.
Example: Silas Marner in "Silas Marner" by George Eliot. His superstition reflects his isolation and adds complexity to his character.
Key questions: Why is she superstitious? How does her superstition affect her decisions and relationships? How does her superstition drive the plot?

8. 51. Escapism
Escapism is the Habitual diversion of the mind to fantasy or entertainment to avoid reality.
Why this is interesting: Escapism can reflect deeper emotional issues, societal critiques, or create a connection with readers who share the desire to escape.
Example: Laura Wingfield in "The Glass Menagerie" by Tennessee
Williams. Her escapism illustrates her inner turmoil and family dynamics.
Key questions: Why does she engage in escapism? How does her escapism affect her life and relationships? What are the consequences of her desire to escape?
Another word for Escapism is Youthful Idealism, Skylights.
Musa does this to a T in the Winx Club cartoon show.

9

9. 52. Unreliability
Unreliability is the Lack of dependability or trustworthiness.
Why this is interesting: Unreliability can create tension, mystery, or present a complex, multifaceted perspective of the story.
Example: The unnamed narrator in "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe. His unreliability adds to the suspense and psychological intensity.
Key questions: What makes her unreliable? How does her unreliability affect the story and characters? How does her unreliability contribute to the themes or interpretations?

10. 53. Pride
Pride is an Overly high self-esteem of thinking of oneself without regard to others.
Why this is interesting: Excessive pride can lead to downfall, conflict, or growth, providing a rich exploration of character dynamics.
Example: Okonkwo in "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe. His excessive pride leads to tragic consequences, reflecting cultural themes.
Key questions: What fuels his excessive pride? How does it manifest?
What are the consequences of his excessive pride?

11. 54. Discontentment
Discontentment is the  of satisfaction with one's possessions, status, or situation.
Why this is interesting: Discontentment can drive a character's actions, relationships, or symbolize broader societal issues.
Example: Emma Bovary in "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert. Her discontentment shapes her choices and the tragedy of the story.
Key questions: Why is she discontent? How does her discontentment affect her life and relationships? How does her discontentment drive the plot or themes?