Chapter 5

A few days later, Detective Baker called the morgue and gave me the go-ahead with the prince's autopsy report. He told me to look for anything that might allude to what happened to the prince's heart. As I began gathering my tools into one place, I heard a quiet knock on the morgue's entrance.

'Come in,' I called out.

The doors flung open, and a small-framed woman popped out from between them. She was beaming as she entered the room, and began silently jotting notes on a small notepad as she marveled at her surroundings.

'Sorry, you are?' I asked.

'Oh, right,' she replied as she skittishly stuffed the notepad and pen into a bag slung over her small shoulder. 'Paisley Deitz, journalist for The Daily Telegraph. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions regarding the prince.'

'Oh, well, I really shouldn't, uh...' I stammered.

'I promise I'll be quick, I just wanted to get a few details from you,' she said, cutting me off.

'Uh, well, okay. But please be quick, I have things to do today.' I requested.

'Right then... Okay, first off, how did you hear of the prince's passing?'

'A direct call from Adelaide Cottage,' I said. It was a simple question, which I'd already answered more times than I could count.

'Okay... and have you determined anything yet regarding the prince's death from your autopsy?'

'Well, uh, you see,' I rambled on. 'I haven't exactly started it yet.'

She glanced up from her notepad, a confused expression on her face.

'Is it because of the thing with his heart?' she asked.

I froze as I felt my face go pale. Detective Baker had assured me that the police department would try to keep as much information about the situation from the public as they could, so hearing Paisley ask about his heart alarmed me.

'Wh- um,' I said in disbelief. 'I, uh,' I continued. 'I'm sorry, will you excuse me for a moment?' I asked her.

'Of course, do what you need to do. I should actually be on my way, really.'

'No, no, please, stay. I'll only be a moment, I promise.' With that, I excused myself into the small office in the corner of the morgue and closed the door. I dialed the police department's number and was again met with Detective Baker's greeting.

'Hello? This is Detective Bak-'

'Baker, it's Faith. Listen, I've got a journalist who is asking about the heart. I thought you said you weren't saying anything yet.'

'We didn't,' he replied, a bit of panic sitting in the back of his throat. 'Listen, just keep her there, and I'll be over in a second, okay? Can you do that?'

'Of course, see you in a sec.' I hung up before he had the chance to say anything else, anxious to keep Paisley in the morgue. I walked out of the office and into a vacant room.