''i'm still in love with her.'' he answered truthfully. ''she can't marry chase...she's meant to be marrying me.''

''what?''

''we made a deal at my aunt's wedding...it's a long story, it doesn't matter.''

''well, you can't marry her when she's already married, dumbass.''

he rolled his eyes, but realised gabriella was right. he had broken up with florence to try and protect her, but he never would've if he knew this was going to happen. in his head, he was going to break up with her, she was going to be cool with it and continue living at the triplets house whilst getting her popularity back.

clearly, he had been wrong.

''i need to go and see logan.'' matt said suddenly, standing up and throwing open his closet.

''right now?'' gabriella asked. 

''yes.''

''well...are you going to talk to flo?''

''not right now.''

''not right now?'' she echoed. ''that's not what i wanted to hear, matt.''

he shrugged as he put his jacket on, putting the packet of cigarettes into his pocket. ''you need to go to chris' room now.''

''wow.'' she muttered, standing up. ''fine.''

''oh, gabi?''

''yeah?''

''don't mention the weed.'' he said quietly.

''you know he'll probably smell it on me?''

''but you won't say anything?''

she sighed, smiling lightly. ''i won't.''

he gave her a small smile, both of them leaving his room. matt locked the door, and they continued down the hall, splitting when gabriella reached her boyfriend's room. chris kissed her quickly before frowning.

''babe, you stink of...'' he trailed off before looking down the hall. ''matt!''

''gotta run, man!''

--

matt knocked on logan's door, waiting only a few moments before he pulled it open.

''yo, matt.'' he grinned. ''didn't know you were coming over.''

the brunette boy instantly smiled at the sight of his best friend. it really didn't matter what mood matt was in, logan was able to bring him out of it. 

''wassup, man?'' 

''you coming in?''

he nodded, following logan into his house. they went to the living room, both sitting lazily on the couch before logan looked at matt.

''what's up?''

''i need to talk to you...but you can't tell anybody any of this shit.''

''promise, bro.''

''do you remember i was doing florence a favour?'' 

logan nodded. ''yeah.''

''i was pretending to be her boyfriend but her mom kinda lost it and flo moved in with my family but then i started liking her - actually, i love her - and then she started getting bullied at school because she was my girlfriend so i broke up with her and-''

''you broke up with her?'' logan echoed. ''is that why you haven't been at school and flo's been fucking depressed?''

''she's depressed?'' matt asked, his heart leaping into his throat.