CHAPTER 14

Tara's world came crashing down as the old man's words sank in. "Chal bashi..." The phrase echoed in her mind, a cruel reminder of her mother's sudden departure from this world. Tears welled up in her eyes as she struggled to comprehend the enormity of the news.

"Chal bashi? Maa... no, it can't be..." Tara's voice trembled with disbelief and sorrow, her heart heavy with grief. She felt as though the ground beneath her had been pulled away, leaving her adrift in a sea of emotions.

Tara's anguish echoed through the room as she refused to accept the reality of her mother's passing. Kusum, too, was visibly shaken by the news, her heart aching for Tara's loss, onces she also wished to meet Aruna but destiny wanted something else.

"I... I want to meet maa, you are lying Kaka, my maa can't leave me alone here, she promised me she will be always there for me... You are lying," Tara sobbed uncontrollably, her voice choked with grief and disbelief.

"In ti kam umar mein Aruna chal bashi," the old man muttered in sorrow, his words carrying the weight of the tragic news.

( In such a young age, Aruna passed away.)

"I want to meet Maa... " She looked at Padma who seemed unaffected by the news.

"Dadiji, I want to meet my mother, please let me go there," said Tara, tears streaming down her face.

But an unexpected reply came from Padma, "After what you've done with your husband, you still have the audacity to attend your mother's funeral? You know why there's sudden news of your mother's death? It's because of your Karma. You cheated on your husband, and now you're facing the consequences."

Kusum was shocked by Padma's inhumane words. Unable to resist herself, Kusum said, "Maaji, please let her go. She just lost her mother, and we can set aside all these issues for now."

" No, she will not go, that too in a widow woman's funeral, Never! " said Padma.

"Dadiji," Tara's voice quivered with emotion as she addressed Padma, "if it's your wish that I never step foot outside these house boundaries again, I will abide by it faithfully. But in this moment, with my mother's passing, please grant me this one request... Please let me go."

Her eyes welled with tears as she bowed her head, touching Padma's feet in a gesture of desperation and humility. "I promise to return as soon as I can, but I need to be with my mother one last time, to bid her farewell properly."

Padma's face twisted in disgust as she firmly reiterated her decision. "No means no, and that's final. You will not go," she declared, her tone unwavering.

Tara fell silent, her heart heavy with grief and determination. Despite Padma's refusal, something stirred within her, compelling her to defy the old woman's orders.

With trembling resolve, she rose to her feet and whispered, "I... I will go."

Limping slightly, Tara made her way towards the grand door, each step a testament to her unwavering determination.

Padma's voice rang out behind her, commanding her to stop, but Tara pressed on, her resolve unyielding.

"Stop there, Tara!" Padma called after her, but Tara paid no heed. With a determined whisper of "I will go," she quickened her pace, her mind set on reaching her mother's side. Nothing and no one could stand in her way now.

With a steely resolve, Padma watched as Tara defiantly made her way towards the grand doors. As Tara approached, Padma's eyes narrowed with determination.

With a simple, piercing gaze, she silently commanded the keepers to close the doors, effectively barring Tara's path.

Tara reached out towards the doors, her heart sinking as she realized they were closing before her. With a surge of panic, she quickened her pace, but it was too late.