Chapter 1

I wouldn't consider myself the prettiest girl you could meet. I would consider myself average looking. I have dark brown hair that falls in soft waves with crystal clear blue eyes. I'm an average height of 5' 6. I'm fairly skinny because of my wolf metabolism that runs on overdrive. I'm actually the most average person you can meet. Except for the fact that I'm a werewolf.

I have my close group of friends that consists of four people, five including me. I don't have many friends because, lets be honest, I'm a nerd. I don't like going to parties like everyone else. I like to stay home and watch movies with my friends. I also love to read. Others may think my personality is boring, but that's just because I'm shy. When I get with my friends it's like I escape out of my shell. I become this fun outgoing person, but that's only with them.

"Piper! Hurry up or you're going to be late for school!" My mom yelled from downstairs. I groaned and applied a little mascara before running to the kitchen. My mom handed me some toast and I grabbed it and rushed out the door. I hopped in my Jeep and turned it on. Country music blared through the speakers as I drove to school.

I pulled into my regular parking spot in the middle of the lot. I was immediately swarmed by my friends. I didn't have the doors on my Jeep so some of them just hopped inside.

"Well hello to you too," I say to everyone that's hanging off my car. Someone from behind me ruffled my hair and I swatted at their hand. "Jeez Marcus, ever heard of personal space?" I snapped and tried to smooth my hair back down.

"Nope, I have too much fun messing with you," he said and I huffed. I jumped out of my car and started walking into the building. Kara looped her arm through mine as we walked. She's been my best friend since before I can even remember. Jason came on the other side of me and put his arm around my shoulder.

"Where's Lauren?" I ask him. Lauren is Jason's girlfriend. She's also one of my best friends.

"I think she went with her family to visit her grandparents or something."

I glanced back to see where Marcus was since he wasn't walking with us and I ran into someone.

"Watch where you're walking!" Brittany's high pitched voice yelled at me. I ducked my head and kept walking. I don't do confrontations that good. Jason let out a low growl but since everyone has werewolf ears, they all heard it.

"You growl at her again and you're going to regret it," Zach ground out. He's the Alphas son. He's not exactly someone you want to mess with. I pulled Jason along with me and stole one last glance at Zach. He has short black hair with piercing green eyes. He's tall with a muscular build. To say that girls find him attractive is an understatement. I may drool over his looks but his personality is terrible. He is such a player who acts like a douche bag.

"You might want to wipe the drool from your lips," Kara teased me. I shoved my shoulder against her playfully and laughed it off. Then it hit me, like a semi truck running straight through me. I stopped walking and glanced around. That scent, that delicious scent that was drawing me in. It smelled like woods, spice, and rain. I don't know who the scent belonged to but I knew what it meant. Mate.

I was whirling around to find who owned that scent but I couldn't place it. That is, until my eyes landed on Zach. No no no no! Why can't it be anyone but him? I've always dreamed of growing up and finding my mate one day, but not like this. And especially not with the soon to be Alpha. He was drop dead gorgeous, but I was a nerd. I didn't belong with those type of people and I knew it.

"Hey are you alright?" Jason asked me but I wasn't paying attention to him. I was too busy watching Zach flirt with Brittany. Jealousy and anger flared up inside me. I wanted nothing more than to slap that blonde bimbo across her face. A smile spread across my cheeks as I watched him shove her away. He abruptly stood up and his head swiveled around until our eyes met. Whereas I was still smiling, his eyes were narrowing. My heart was doing summersaults because he was looking at me, but my mind knew something was wrong. Why is he looking at me like that? Has he never dreamed of finding his mate?

Maybe he doesn't realize you're his mate yet. My wolf whimpered in my mind.

I think he knows we're his mate. Does he not want me? I asked her and even I could hear the desperation in my voice. He looked away from us and pulled Brittany closer to him. My wolf let out a ferocious growl that even had me flinching back. I didn't let it escape my throat but she made it pretty clear that she was pissed.

"Hey babe, you okay?" Kara stood in front of me, blocking my vision from Zach. I looked at her with tears swimming in my eyes and buried my head in her shoulder.

"Just get me out of here," I whispered and they all hurried us along. Kara rushed me into the girls bathroom and Marcus and Jason followed us in. Luck wouldn't be on our side since there were girls in there.

"Get out! This is the girls bathroom!" One of the girls yelled at them.

"Don't get your panties in a wad," Marcus snarled at them. Even though the girls weren't werewolves, they hurried out like he had given them a command. I wiped my cheeks and refused to let anymore tears fall.

"What happened back there?" Kara asked me with concern clear in her eyes.

"I found-" I cut myself off and choked back another sob.

"You found what?" Marcus asked as he wrapped me in a hug. Marcus is pretty mean to most people, but I think I make him soft. It's almost like I'm his little sister and he's protecting me.

"Zach," I blurted out and Jason and Marcus growled at the same time.

"Do I need to go beat the hell out of him?" Jason asked. I knew he would lose that fight, just because Zach is going to be the Alpha. Jason can put up one helluva fight though. He's going to be third in command when the titles get passed down in a year.

I shake my head at Jason and plant my face in my hands. Why does this have to happen to me? Why can't I get a mate that cares for me and that will love me unconditionally? I get stuck with the super hot Alpha who probably cares about nothing but power. The guy who's slept with so many girls that I can't even count. Of course I would get stuck with him. I'm the person who has wanted a mate ever since my mom told me about it. When I was little she used to tell me stories about how finding your mate is the most wonderful feeling in the world. The feeling I'm feeling right now is far from wonderful.