prologue.

MY COMBAT BOOTS were riddled with mud

     MY COMBAT BOOTS were riddled with mud. My muscles ached, my head throbbed. I rested my hands on top of my shaky knees, desperate for any kind of support I could get that wasn't a piece of debris currently set ablaze. My breath came out in uneven, shallow puffs, barely able to keep up with my heart that was pounding right against my chest. Fatigued tears began clouding my eyes.

     I take a look around me, assessing my situation and all of the destruction I caused. Normally, I wouldn't be so casual and unsympathetic about setting a whole building on fire, but this was well deserved and overdue. This was no innocent, ordinary building, and one could know that simply from one glance at the structure. It looks as evil as the actions taking place inside of it.

     This was a prison. A torture chamber. A hideout in the sky for some morbidly short and obese man whom has more enemies than he can count. This building was the only thing that made him feel confident in getting away with all the things he's done.

     And I'm so glad that I'm the one who was able to take that sense of security away from him. He doesn't deserve it.

     When I say he, I'm referring to General Dreykov.

He ripped everything that a normal child should have away from me. I didn't get those cliche family nights, field trips, pool days...Instead, I grew up inside of this building that now lay in front of me, unrecognizable. I training day and night to become Ninjago's youngest but most lethal assassin.

     And I was.

For that reason, I am a big part of Ninjago's history. I'm even in children's history books. They teach you about me as soon as you hit middle school and the years that I plagued Ninjago with fear. That means that you learn about all of the horrid, tragic things I've done, and the pure lives I stole when my mind was under the control of Dreykov. You also get to learn about my escape, my becoming of an elemental master, and my joining of a ninja force that was known for saving Ninjago on numerous occasions.

     Even though, sometimes, it would be me they were saving Ninjago from.

     Their sensei, Master Wu, saw the good in me and even helped me escape. He sensed an elemental power inside of me. Wu taught me everything I know about my powers. How to summon them, use them, control them, etcetera. It all came from Wu.

     Just as he saved me, I made it my mission to save every other girl from Dreykov's Red Room. That's exactly what I've just done.

     "Yelena?"

A cough echoed underneath some rubble. I limped toward the sound, my foot dragging behind me. I could see a slither of dirty blonde hair on the dirt, peaking out from under the thick piece of concrete.

     My sister, Yelena Belova.

     She's not my real sister. We're not bonded by blood or genetics, but by the time we spent together and the love we have for each other. We were girls together, for the short time that we were actually able to be girls. She's always been my sister, and she always will be.