- Yes, mom. It was nothing.

- I would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking is a pretty big deal, Steven.

There's a beat of silence. I find the first aid kit and when I come back, Steven is chuckling in his mother's face like he isn't afraid of death.

- Were you guys smoking? - He accuses. - This place smells like weed.

It does. I didn't notice it before, but my ex-stepmother brought the smell with her.

- What? - Laurel looks like she's about to deny it, but changes her mind last second. - Keep your voice down, Susannah is asleep on the couch.

- I wasn't any louder than you! - Steven whisper shouts. - It was a normal voice. A low voice even.

- Look, Laurel, I didn't drink tonight. - Jeremiah steps in before my brother starts an actual argument. - I was the DD...

- You're the oldest. - She turns to Conrad, ignoring what Jere is saying. He was trying to be responsible, but Jeremiah's efforts are usually not appreciated around here. - What the hell has gotten into you? - She turns to Belly. - When did you leave the house without telling anybody? And what are you wearing?

- It's Taylor's. - Belly wraps herself around the hoodie even more, trying to hide how short the dress is. - And why am I the only one who's not allowed to go out?

- It's not that you're not allowed, is that you should've told us you were going. - Laurel replies angrily. - How did you even get there?

- I walked.

If Laurel doesn't murder her for this, I will. Walking alone in the middle of the night. That's dangerous anywhere.

- You should know better.

- Can you stop treating me like a kid? - Belly raises her voice an ounce, and Jeremiah looks over to make sure his mom is still asleep.

- Ok, maybe we should call it a night. - I suggest, showing the white case in my hand. - I'll clean that up for you.

- Not now, Stella. This is a family matter. - Laurel shushes me with a hand gesture, not even looking in my direction, and it feels like I was slapped. - If you wanna be treated like an adult, you need to act like one.

- Maybe you guys should too. - Conrad says. I hadn't heard him speak yet. He's slurring.

- What does that mean? - Laurel challenges, but he shrugs her off.

She starts a speech about how this night could've ended so incredibly differently if the Fishers weren't as influential as they are, and we all know she's right. Jeremiah looks like he wants to shrink himself into his Hawaiian shirt. Steven and Belly can't make eye contact with their mom. Part of me wants to cry.

And Conrad? He keeps looking at me. I'm avoiding his gaze, but I still feel it. When I don't look back, he kicks my foot. The others are too busy being scolded to notice. When I meet his eyes, a tear rolls down my cheek. This is a family matter. So what does that make me?

Conrad discreetly points to Laurel and starts making funny gestures, putting two fingers on the back of his head mimicking horns. Then he rolls his eyes dramatically, tugging an invisible rope until it chokes him to death. He's such an idiot. I laugh, putting a hand in front of my mouth to cover the noise.

- We're sorry, Laurel. - Jeremiah says when she's done, and it's so unfair he's the only one apologizing, especially considering he wasn't the one drinking or getting into fights.

- You know what? It's fine. - She sighs. - Just go to bed, guys.

Ignoring the tug on my heart from Laurel's words, I take Belly's hand and drag her to the bathroom. She leans on the edge of the sink as I start looking through the first aid kit.

- Hold still. - I tell her, putting disinfectant on a piece of gauze.

- Are you mad at me for sneaking out? - She asks. - I feel like you're mad at me.

- I'm mad at you for being careless and getting hurt. - I reply, grazing the gauze on her injury. Belly flinches a bit, but does her best to hold still. - I have no room to judge you for sneaking out. The police brought me home a few times already.

- Really? - Her eyebrows shoot up. - For what?

- Underage drinking. - Among other things. - It'll probably be swollen and purple for the next few days.

- Great. - She crosses her arms, and it calls my attention to the hoodie. I just assumed it was Jeremiah's, but I can't imagine him wearing something so bland. - What?

- Where'd you get that? - I run a finger through the zipper. - It's not from one of the boys.

- You're right, it's not. - She looks down, smiling. It's not the same smile from when she's thinking about Conrad, but it's there. - I'll tell you tomorrow, ok?

- Alright. - I close up the first aid kit. - I'll hold you to that.

Belly looks up, still smiling.

- Thanks, Stella.

She stretches her arms, hugging me.

- Anything for you, Bells.